Revell 1/48 A-26B Invader– Maggie’s Drawers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wolfman_63

Airman 1st Class
Jan 20, 2014
Schaumburg IL
I am taking a short break from commission builds over this holiday season. This next build is the Revell 1/48 A-26B Invader. For this build I will be using Eduard's cockpit and bomb bay detail sets. The scheme I will be using is "Maggie's Drawers" of the 416th BG - 671st BS - 9th AF that was flown during 1944/1945 at the Laon/Athies Airfield, France. The decals for this scheme are the Kitsworld 148172 decal set.

Starting off with the cockpit I shaved off the kit details off the center console and replaced the starboard floor with a photo etch replacement. The control yoke was detailed with photo etch and I also painted the Douglas Aircraft logo on the center of the yoke. For the pilot seat I removed the molded seatbelts and shaved the sides off. These were replaced with photo etch details. I added the photo etch panels to the center console and added the numerous levers as well. Behind the pilot seat are a stack of avionics and the rear bulkhead of the cockpit. These were also detailed with photo etch details.

Under the cockpit is the nose gear bay. The port side wall has a light which I cut off and drilled out the lens to replace it with a clear lens. Finally the kit details were shaved off the instrument panels so the photo etch panels can be installed. All of the cockpit parts were installed and the cockpit area was weathered. I am now working on the interior of the fuselage. The interior is very involved as it covers the cockpit walls, the bomb bay area and the gunner's area. This will be displayed with the bomb bay doors open and the crew access door will be open so the details can be seen.

All the details and photos can be seen in the build log at: 1/48 A-26B Intruder – Maggie's Drawers

DSCN9417.jpg

DSCN9445.jpg

DSCN9447.jpg

DSCN9449.jpg

DSCN9451.jpg

DSCN9457.jpg

DSCN9458.jpg

DSCN9460.jpg

DSCN9462.jpg

DSCN9464.jpg

DSCN9466.jpg

Last edited:
Nice detail. I'm assuming the pilots seat could be rolled forward as it seems a long way back from the controls. :thumbright: :D 🎄

The second week of the A-26B Invader was spent detailing the fuselage. First a little correction, the A-26B is nicknamed the "Invader". Being a Navy veteran I kept thinking of the Navy aircraft nicknamed the "Intruder" so when I began this build log Intruder kept sticking in my mind. Also with the holiday season I was busy with family so bench time was limited.

Moving on to the build, I added all the photo etch to the cockpit area in the fuselage. I also cut open the rear door. This is being replaced with a photo etch version and will be in the open position so the interior details can be seen better once the fuselage is assembled. The Eduard bomb bay photo etch set covers the area behind the cockpit. One thing is the kit is molded so there is a gap where the wings mount to the fuselage. The photo etch set covers these openings. I also added other details to the gunner area as well. The interior was then painted with interior green. Another interesting feature of this aircraft is the upper and lower gun turrets are remote controlled. The gunner sits on a platform that is basically a double-sided periscope which allows the gunner to see targets above or below the aircraft. This was modified by removing the kit platform and replacing it with a photo etch version. The supporting back wall will also be replaced as well. Next I weathered the inside of the fuselage with dark grey, light grey, and black pastel chalk.

I am now working on building up the bomb racks and the bombs. Once these are done I can begin to assemble the fuselage halves together. The racks are being replaced completely with photo etch parts.

All the details and photos from the start can be seen in the build log at: 1/48 A-26B Intruder – Maggie's Drawers

DSCN9471.jpg

DSCN9474.jpg

DSCN9477.jpg

DSCN9484.jpg

DSCN9485.jpg

DSCN9489.jpg

The third week of the Invader build was spent detailing the bomb bay and aft interior. The first thing was to replace the kit bomb racks with the photo etch version. These were then mounted in the fuselage. The 300 LB bombs were modified by replacing the fuse and fins with photo etch and then adding the mounting brackets on them.

The kit has a piece to represent the ammunition and control for the upper turret. This was completely replaced with photo etch parts. There are two ammo cases, the electronic motor, and the shell casing chute all on one frame that mounts under the turret. I found a couple of reference photos of the underside of the turret which aided in the paint colors and configuration.

Since I cut out the crew door it was replaced with a photo etch version. I used clear acetate for the window. This door will be in the open position so the details inside can be seen. The gunner's periscope was cut and the photo etch details for the mount were added. I need to detail the seat and mount it on to the frame.

With these assemblies completed I detailed and painted the interior bulk heads and dry fitted them into the fuselage. I have a few more things to finish up and one more bulkhead to detail then I should be ready to assemble the fuselage halves together then I can begin on the wings, main gear, and detailing the engines.

All the details and photos from the start can be seen in the build log at: 1/48 A-26B Intruder – Maggie's Drawers

DSCN9494.jpg

DSCN9498.jpg

DSCN9502.jpg

DSCN9516.jpg

DSCN9518.jpg

DSCN9520.jpg

DSCN9522.jpg

DSCN9523.jpg

DSCN9525.jpg

DSCN9527.jpg

DSCN9530.jpg

During the fourth week of the Invader build I finished all the interior details and assembled the fuselage halves. Everything fit together pretty good but there are a few areas that required some minor putty along the seams. Since this kit has raised panel lines it took some time to putty and sand the seam areas without sanding down the panel lines.

Next I assembled the wings and the main landing gear bays. One thing to note is Revell placed TWO copyright stamps on the port wing. Not only the port inside flap but also on the brace that supports the wing inside the landing gear bay! These were then sanded down and removed. I painted and weathered the bays. I have not attached them to the wings yet as I just found some reference photos of the bays so I can add some more details like cables and lines later.

I am now starting on the engines. Since there is not any photo etch details for them I am scratch building the ignition wires. I will be using 32 gauge wires for this and drilling the holes for them using .25mm drills. Hoping to have the engines completed and the gear bays completed so I can mount the wings this coming week.

DSCN9537.jpg

DSCN9538.jpg

DSCN9540.jpg

DSCN9548.jpg

DSCN9549.jpg

DSCN9560.jpg

DSCN9561.jpg

DSCN9562.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back