Revell 1/48 F4U-5 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wouldnt surprise me

At first I thought it maybe a reboxing of the monogram kit

like the yellow tips on those drop tanks

I have the -5 and the 5N from Hasegawa. Really nice kits with recessed lines etc. But, they both have an annoying ridge going from port to startboard, in front of the cockpit and fuel tank, halfway down the wings...see pic. Nothing that you can about this, without losing panel lines.... :( If it is old Hasegawa molds and they haven't done anyhting about it, they'll still be there with Revell.

Btw, these two will become crates from the USS Coral Sea, CV(A)-43....

DSCF0001-44.jpg

DSCF0002-43.jpg

Hmm. I'd thought it was the old Monogram kit (you know, Revell/Monogram), with the folding wings. If it is, then it needs work, but can look oK. I did one years afo in the Frnech navy scheme. Didn't Maglar do this one recently?

Thats what I thought too Terry -any pics possible of that French Corsair you built? did it have the mermaid on the the tail?

btw nice kits Jan

Daniel, I did it as the preserved one at Duxford at the time, with the black and yellow 'Suez' stripes. I photographed it when it first arrived in the UK, 'hidden' from prying eyes in the BBMF hangar at RAF Coningsby. Did a lot of work on it, including moulding a canopy. I might have a 35mm tranparency somewhere. If so, and if I can get it scanned, I'll post it. Unfortunately the model was given to my (then) sister in law's son, along with some other bl**dy nice 1/48th models, such as a RAF Mitchell, Spit FRIX with cowlings off and fully detailed Merlin, and a B17F, fully detailed inside and out. I must have been mad, but was in the middle of a complicated house move, in winter, with a 4 month old daughter too - so lots of models had to go, no time to pack them all properly, or store them!! Gulp, cry, sob, sniffle....
BTW, The Aviation Hobby Shop have some various 1/48th scale Corsairs going cheap, icluding IIRC the U5 and U7, I think from Academy and ?? You'd have to look through their listings. They don't charge carriage in the UK, and the 'overseas' carriage is reasonable. They often have discontinued kits at lower prices, eg. Airfix 1/48th scale Tornado F3, normally £24.99, now £12.50
Worth a look, as they seem to have some stuff that others have sold out, or don't stock.

Last edited:
Sounds good mate -as for your 'then sister in laws son' what a lucky sod!

Those 1/48 Corsairs sound good -although I'm put off buying another in that scale cause of how complicated this dam tamiya one is -I'm just use to the simplicity of 1/72

Dis it all you want Terry -you aint changing me :lol:

I'm loyal to 1/72 forever - or at least until they bring out enough 1/48 kits at a reasonable price and I have enough space to put them all! which is proberly not going to happen :(

Other week I saw for sale a 1/48 Sunderland for $500 :shock: when compared to $40 for a Airfix one ,I can't justify 500 on one kit -and I want to build a few Sunderlands

however a 1/48 Sunderland would be bloody cool and big!

Last edited:
From memory Cory, I think it was a -7. The old, 1960's Monogram kit anyway, with folding wings. Way ahead of it's time in the '60's, but the wing-fold joint was a pain to correct for full-span wings, and the landing gear, bays and doors needed a lot of scratch-built additions. I think I've still got the mould for the sliding canopy, if you ever need one. It has the correct 'flare' at the bottom, rear of the 'frame'.
Daniel, I wouldn't spend that much on ANY kit - which is why I cancelled my order for the still-yet-to-appear Airfix 1/24th scale Mosquito. A Sunderland in 1/48th would be bl**dy HUGE man!
I know what you mean about the cost of 1/48th kits, but I have noticed the increase, quite high sometimes, in all kits, no matter what the scale. One of the problems is, people get used to high-tech Tamigawa kits in 1/48th, and expect that sort of detail and 'quality' from all such kits, therefore will pay the higher prices. But there are still some nice 1/48th kits at (almost) 1/72nd prices, that just need a little work for extra detail, but are ok OOB. The Academy Corsair F4U-4B at TAHS is only £6.99, about, what, $12 NZ ? Not bad, if they're the same, or similar price in NZ. Might be a bit basic compared to Tamigawa, I don't know, haven't seen it, but at that price, so what?
I'll be ordering a couple of 1/48th SMER kits, each under £5, less than about $9NZ I think! Can't be bad!!

Pisses me off seeing 1/48 kits cheaper than 1/72 kits -still it won't change me .Those SMER kits don't sound to bad for that price - I'd be interested to see what you make of them

How much is the airfix 1/24 Mossie going for now? I've been thinking of possibly getting one to depict NZ2328 (The one I spend my saturdays with) Think you said a while ago it was something around $300 NZD which is nuts -I'd rather scratch build one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back