Revell 1/72 Hurricane IIC (Yep, another!)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Crunch there is a photo of "G" in Geoff Thomas' "Eyes for the Phoenix"; the serial MAY be KZ393, probably a Mk. IV as it seems to have rocket rails underwing.
28 Sqn. had Mk. IVs between May--July 1945 , mostly used Mk. IIcs.

Those aircraft delivered in Temperate (grey-green) or Tropical ( Desert, ie. Mid-stone/Dark Earth/ Azure) were soon re-painted Dark Earth-Dark Green - Medium Sea Grey as per Air HQ India's document of 27 Oct. 1943 ;
...." some Hurricane aircraft are being received into India camouflaged with the desert scheme, and carrying the UK identification markings with yellow borders. These are to be re-camouflaged BEFORE DISPATCH ".
The white ID bands were authorised as from Feb. 1 1945 for aircraft of Eastern Air Command (with certain exceptions) by HQ ACSEA (already in use on Thunderbolts in the theatre).
In practice the topside bands were often removed as they compromised the camouflage.

Dalbumgarh was one of the Calcutta airfields, used by 3 other fighter-bomber squadrons.
(At least 1 Hurricane was flown in the theatre in desert colours, but very early in the war ; this was the often-illustrated BE171 YB--B a Mk. IIb from 17 Sqn. at Mingaladon. Unusually it had red-white-blue upper wing roundels).

Thank you for the photos Regards Nick

Interesting stuff tinplate...

Thanks for digging this up again too bb.... I haven't really touched my model desk for a while and reading the comments again inspired me! Now I can't find enough time.... :p

NICE one I got the sea hurricane from revell brilliant kit.. I payed like 5E for it :)

Wow, this was a while ago! My 6yo daughter mentioned is now 10 and building along side me! Funny thing I realised not long ago.... I did metal chipping and weathering on a wooden aircraft.

Meh, I was happy with it! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back