Revell 1/72 scale F8F-1 Bearcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LA2019

Airman 1st Class
Jan 11, 2009
Completed my Revell 1/72 F8F-1 Bearcat. Built out of the box with a little bit of detailing on the front stuts (disc caliper pistons, brake lines and that "V" looking part that connects the upper and lower struts...sorry, don't know the name!)and hand painted.

I'm satisfied with the finish of the kit but the overall quality of the model is not the greatest. I think this is an older Monogram model from years ago and it shows. Almost all raised panel lines, no cockpit detail what-so-ever and main gear housing that is all open. But, at least my Grumman "Holy Trinity" of "Cats" is complete; Wildcat, Hellcat Bearcat......

IMG_3181b.jpg

IMG_3179b.jpg

IMG_3177b.jpg

IMG_3175b.jpg

IMG_3173b.jpg

Looks great to me! As far as I'm concerned, raised panel lines do a better job of simulating lapped panels than recessed. Looks like you had a lot of fiddley decal work to do.

You know, so many of these older little kits are undervalued today. Do a search for full-build reviews on this Bearcat and you'll find nary a one, nevermind that it builds into a great model in the right hands. The aesthetic nowadays seems to be shelling out big bucks for state-of-the-art moldings with every bell and whistle. (I'm not denigrating that - I do it myself.) But sometimes we can forget that some of these modest kits really capture the spirit of the aircraft, precision engineering and a few details be damned.

Does Your Bearcat look this way before assembling:
mono_f8f-79_parts.jpg

Monogram from net.

Looks great to me! As far as I'm concerned, raised panel lines do a better job of simulating lapped panels than recessed. Looks like you had a lot of fiddley decal work to do.

Thanks guys.

Yeah John, I was suprised at the amount of decal work. It was worth the all of the efffort though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back