Rifles and Machineguns of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Reason for the high rate of fire was the the use of the gun in the AA role. Post war Italian guns used a different weight bolt and had a much lower rate of fire so it could have been done at anytime if the Germans had desired it. Italians actually had two bolts which were interchangeable in the gun so it really wasn't a big deal.

I have read in the American Rifleman magazine about a short-run Colt mfg. version of the BAR, named the "Monitor"-- a favorite of Bonnie & Clyde, and others of that lawless 1930's era. Shorter barrel, no bipod, one cyclical rate of fire (450 RPM??)- shorter forearm, better pistol grip on the buttstock, and as others have said- at combat range, an AP .30 cal round can puncture radiators, oil pans and other vitals other than the engine block of a pursuit LE car--the Thompson .45ACP, maybe not so much effective at other than Close Quarter gunfights. I don't know, I don't have a Class 3 FFL-shot a 1921 Thompson once, with a 20 rd. stick magazine-that's my only experience, Hansie

Users who are viewing this thread