RN Gannet AS1 Paint Scheme (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi Chaps

I'm about to get started on this little beastie:

IMG_0687.jpg

I'm planning to do it as XA321, an AS Mk1 of 815 Squadron, aboard HMS Ark Royal, 1956. The instructions call for the upper surfaces to be a mix of 25% Revell matt 78 (Panzer Grey) and 75% matt 79 (Greyish Blue), and fuselage and lower surfaces to be matt 59 (Sky Blue). I would have have expected Dark or Extra Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces and Sky or White lower surfaces. Can anyone confirm the correct colour scheme for this period?

Cheers

BT

I have just received the Classic Airframe Gannet which has decals for 824 Sqn on Ark Royal in 1956, here they say the upper surface is BS 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey which I believe equates to Humbrol 123 in enamel satin or acrylic matt. As for the rest, this is BS 219 Sky which I believe is supplied by JPS Paints or the Mr Colour range by Gunze Sangyo. These were the standard colours for the Royal Navy Gannets for most of their service life. My reference id Scale Aviation Modeller international magazine 15/8.

Hope this is of help BT.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Yep,that's correct. Although in 'real life' the top colours look more like Dark Sea Grey, especially in 1/72nd scale. Here's a pic which might help. Note the underside colours here are the Medium Sea Grey, whcih I think replaced the original Sky in the last years of service.

Attachments

• Czech 087.jpg
    Czech 087.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back