Rochie's Duxford pics August 2011

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

last few

Picture 126.jpg
Picture 122.jpg
Picture 124.jpg
Picture 120.jpg
Picture 108.jpg
Picture 044.jpg
Picture 045.jpg
Picture 071.jpg

Good stuff mate. Are those first ones, of the Beaver and Sabre, in the 'private' hangar, left of the 'Superhangar'/ shop area? Didn't know access was normally possible. Looks like they brought the V1 indoors for a clean too !

Good stuff mate. Are those first ones, of the Beaver and Sabre, in the 'private' hangar, left of the 'Superhangar'/ shop area? Didn't know access was normally possible. Looks like they brought the V1 indoors for a clean too !

no they were in the second part of the first hanger, where they were doing all the wok on the airworthy kites, the bit you and i missed during our visit !

:shock: I wont have you guys bad-mouthing the Shac! She's beautiful!

And that V-1 is a permanent exhibit in the BoB/Air defense hangar, it's not the one behind the American hangar, that one's still outside.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Why Neil, because it's British? It's a modernised Lancaster, basically, with Griffons, which, by the Mark shown (MR3), would have been something like Lancaster Mk32 !!
The type shown eventually became too heavy with equipment fits for it's own good, and was retired, but it's predeccesor, the MR2, basically similar but a tail dragger, soldiered on until the early 198Os, equipped as an AEW, to fill the gap between the European continent and landfall in ... er ... Canada?
See one up close, and remember when it was first designed and built, and it was a real lady of the sky.

I've seen a few in my day , but to call it pretty is like putting lipstick on a pig, would have been better off with the Argus variation of the Britannia

Isn't the Shack also known as '10000 rivets flying in close formation'?? I've always liked them. Nice pics Karl btw!

So she's a looker. Glad we got that sorted.

As an interesting aside can anyone else think of an aircraft that went from being a tail dragger to being a nose sitter in its lifetime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back