Roy's pics from TV, etc (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Royzee617

Tech Sergeant
Apr 6, 2005
MK UK
dspace.dial.pipex.com
Swordfish pic from TV... just after start up methinks.

The start of a single thread of my photos of which I have thousands...

Attachments

• swordfish_908.jpg
    swordfish_908.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,088
Crazy plane the old Stringbag... the first TSR2 but had a longer and more auspicious career than the jet version a quarter century later... plus we still have flying Stringbags while the BAC TSR2 languishes as a museum exhibit.

So, the Swordfish engine has the same name as the Harrier engine? That's a bit unimaginative isn't it? Both great engines though.

actually the correct designation for the plane the stringbag originated from was TSR.II, the two being in roman numerals, whilst the jet is the TSR.2, the two being in arabic numerials...........

I visited Chino in the mid-80s. Wandered around happily snapping whatever plane took my fancy with no one taking me to task about it.

Here is Big Bad Bonnie, the B25 which used to appear at UK airshows back then. Came over for that film Hannover Street I think and stayed for a few years. I was surprised to see this beastie back in the USA.

Another memory is seeing some lucky chap having a joyride in a two seat P51!

Attachments

• b25_mitchell_at_chino2_123.jpg
    b25_mitchell_at_chino2_123.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,026
Nice shot Roy
The TSR2 would have made one hell of a torpedo plane at the speed it flew you would'nt need a war head Just sharpen the torpedos nose and use them like giant darts, it'd go right through a destroyer and out the other side :)

I remember seeing the 109 Black 6 flying from Duxford and they the same method for the 109. It struck me as ironic, that one of the most modern Planes around in the war had to be started like an Austin 7.

Strange combination of old and new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back