Russian Evaluation of the P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks. A 'disclaimer' at the top of the report says:
-Owing to abnormally high oil temperatures due to coring of the cooler in the winter months, tests had to be made with various types of blanks over the oil cooler and radiator; details of these blanks will be given in the report on cooling trials which will follow later.

With blanks, the speed was only 357 mph at 14700 ft. Without blanks, it was 370 mph at 15000, ie. under 600 km/h. That is probably a worst test result for the Mustang I, many other were flown to 380 mph at military power (ie. 42 in Hg at ~15000 ft). With war emergency, it was, per this test, 392 mph at 7900 ft. Unfortunately, we don't know when the WER was allowed for the Mustang I, late 1942 maybe?

Russian also tested P47, but never but in front line use.

They used P47. Few machines at Baltic Sea for reconnaissance :)
See: "Àìåðèêàíöû" â Ðîññèè (Â. Êîòåëüíèêîâ, Ã. Ïåòðîâ, Ä. Ñîáîëåâ, Í. ßêóáîâè÷) » ModelFan.ru - Military Books / Modelling (Âîåííûå Êíèãè / Êíèãè ïî Ìîäåëèçìó)
It seems as the well documented book.

According authors, Soviets have 10 Mustang I from RAF and about 14 crashed P-51 later versions. From this latest few P-51D's they restored and tested at LII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back