Russian P-47 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've found this profile and the info that the a/c was P-47D-10-RE serial no. 42-75202 from unknown unit. This plane was bought on money of American senators. It had personal name 'Knight of Pythias'. It was tested in Middle of 1944 in NII VVS and LII.

Attachments

• P-47 D-10-RE_USSR.jpg
    P-47 D-10-RE_USSR.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 259
Here's a photo of one of those Jugs with the malcolm hood mod...

Walter002b.gif

Project 914 Archives

This ship was flown by a fella named Walter Grabowski who passed away a couple years ago... real nice guy he was...

Fade to Black...

BlackWolf3945 said:
This ship was flown by a fella named Walter Grabowski........

Yes,it was his plane.In addition:The first one was flown by both Mjr.Lesilie Smith and Capt.Witold Łanowski.The third - Lt.Jack Curtis.The fourth was flown by Lt.Col. Thomas Bailey.

Ano,my favourite is Capt. Bolesław Gładych from 61FS/56FG/8AF.All his "Jugs" were named " PENGIE" and were decorated with a penguin as an art.They look great.:)

Actually, there was also a few Czechoamericans in the USAAF (also a few thousands in the US Army). Like Jacob Blazicek, he also flew P-47's. But surely there was a greater migration from Poland then from the Czechlands to the USA, that's why you have much bigger community there.

Came across something interesting, that I just thought I would share. I always knew that the Russians got a great deal of Allied aircraft assistance during the war, B25's, P51's, B29s, P39's, P40's, the accasional B17, DC3s, Hurri's Spits and even the odd Boston here and there.....but P47s too?

As far as I know, the Russians never received the B29 Superfortress. In fact they built a copy, the Tupolev Tu-4. During 1945, after a bombing raid on Japan, three B-29s were forced to land in Soviet territory due to emergencies. The Soviets seized the bombers, and Tupolev OKB dismantled and studied them. Stalin ordered Tupolev and his design bureau to copy the interned B-29s down to their smallest details, and produce a design ready for quantity production as soon as possible. Tupolev duly copied the B-29s bolt-by-bolt where possible, reverse-engineered the design where necessary.

Douglas.

Yes, it's true that the Russians stole these technical things very much. Another example is the Soviet metro - it was copied after the origïnal one from Chichago mid 30's...

As I remember ,in an article which was published in an old issue of "Skrzydlata Polska" paper was written that Russian engineers had to use special devices to analze many unknown by them materials that were used for the B-29 constriction ( the rubber and plastic parts, for instance).Unfortunately,they didn't cope with this.As a result they were forced to make these of wood and other materials that were heavier than american ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back