Sacramento / Northern California WWII Allies Mess Night

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GunnyNelson

Airman
May 5, 2013
Sacramento
I am curious to know if anyone in the Sacramento or Northern California area might be interested in doing a mess night with guests, in WWII atire. The idea would be to dress in an Allies dress uniform (Class B or higher), and to create a mess night that is period accurate. For example, in the months prior, participants could share links to youtube videos that describe important parts of the war, or technical components of military campaigns, units, vehicles, aircraft, etc. Essentially, each person would develop their own story related to WWII and be prepared to share a bit of it. For example, in real life I was a Marine Corps air crew/door gunner on a Ch46; so, I am developing an enlisted gunner's uniform for the B29 (my favorite WWII aircraft). I am studying the aircraft itself, and also its use in the Pacific. So, I would be able to tell "stories" related to my B29 crew as we were stationed at Tinian Island, and so forth. I am learning about the Central Fire Control system, etc. Guests could come, and should be in period clothing, and also be able to portray someone of that time. For example, my female companion can talk about working in the war effort, and will probably wear a knee length dress of the period.

This will take some planning, for sure... probably a year or so. But, if you have ever been to a military mess night, then you know how much fun they are.

Is anyone interested in talking about this possibility more? I have located several sources that will custom make you a regulation uniform, can supply the necessary badges, buttons, medals, etc.

Please email me directly, if intererested (enelson.0000 <at> gmail <dotcom>) <== Sorry, don't want computers harvesting this email address and hitting me with a lot of spam... You can figure it out.

Gunny Nelson

Last edited:
Yes, I'm very interested! I'm a volunteer at the Travis AFB Museum (now known as the Travis Heritage Center) The Museum would be a great place to host the event. I attended a very successful dress mess night at Columbus AFB last year for their 70th commemoration of that base. We also have a B-29 and lots of info about them. PM sent
DaveT

Columbus 70th event.JPG
What we did last year

3/13/2012 - COLUMBUS AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. -- Over 450 base Airmen and downtown civilian supporters gathered here March 9 to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Columbus AFB, Miss. Fittingly the gala event was held in a hangar named after the first commander of the installation with three former commanders' journeying back for the commemoration and listen to the keynote address by United States Senator Roger Wicker.

This date was chosen to highlight the first class, 42-C, to graduate at Columbus on March 6, 1942, earning not only their wings of silver, but also their second lieutenant bars. All but four of the newly commissioned flying lieutenants stayed at Columbus to train subsequent classes of student pilots.

The BLAZE hangar, normally dedicated to T-38C phase maintenance, had been cleared of all but three T-38s to make room for the 70th event. Memorabilia was on display from all 70 years of the bases' history and included four locally-owned vintage aircraft. The J-3 Piper Cub, PT-17 Stearman, a P-51 Mustang and AT-6 Texan were present and posed all evening for pictures. On the way in to the event, guests drove past B-52H and KC-135R aircraft that were present at Columbus during the cold war era.

Dressed in vintage Army Air Corps uniforms, wing commander Col. Barre Seguin and vice commander Col. Matt Isler and 70th Ball committee chairman Capt. Keith Napolitano were joined by several other guests to weave the theme of 70 years of aviation excellence throughout the evening.

After the formal portion of the event was concluded, the Itawamba Community College Jazz Band played period swing and jazz music for the guests dancing enjoyment.
Maj. Gen Seve Wilson, 14th Flying Training Wing commander 2004 - 2006 and currently Commander, 8th Air Force was impressed "with the first-class event that had incredible attention to detail in all areas." Joined by retired Colonels Tom Quelly, 14th FTW commander 2000-2002 and Nick Ardillo, 14th FTW commander 1991-1993, they all remarked the excellent manner in which the history of the base had been presented and the evening ended far too soon!

The base intends to weave the 70th theme throughout this year to continue to celebrate the event. For example, the first class to graduate after Training Command resumed pilot training in 1970, Class 71-01, will be returning to the base for their class reunion during the October 5th graduation of class 12-15.

Seeing the transformation of a maintenance hangar into a setting for a gala event reinforces the 70th's motto: Legendary Airmen: proving the impossible is possible!

I am thinking along the lines of the following:

1. American uniforms, or "guests" in allies uniforms.

2. Follow the traditions of the Marine Corps, with regard to a mess night. See appendix D of the following:
http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/docs/Drill Manual 4.pdf

3. Have an empty table for fellows lost in all wars, to which we will pay respects throughout the evening.

4. Catered meal.

5. Cigar hours (when the smoking lamp is lit).

6. Short speeches where re-enactors can share a constructed story that is historically accurate, for the service member they are portraying.

I went to the "Wings of Freedom" event today (01June13) at de-commissioned McClellan AFB. They had a P51C, B17, and B24 on static display. I got to go through the B17 and B24 and I took a lot of pictures, emphasizing the ball turrets and mechanical items of the planes. I will start a new thread to show them. I met a few folks who might want to attend a mess night...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back