Saw off control surfaces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VALENGO

Senior Airman
I thought I had seen everything in modeling, but recently discovered in a website this technique to saw off control surfaces. At my 47 years old this was a novelty for me: sewing thread is used as a flexible cutting tool in a back and forth motion, there is almost no lack of material (the thread doesn´t "chew" plastic). When it breaks, simply unwind a little more and keep cutting. With time you can feel when the thread is near to break and anticipate.
Only precaution: be sure that the piece is firmly attached before start, it tends to bend and shake with every stroke.
Well, for me this was a "before and after", hope that it be useful to others.

It's a useful way to do some cutting, but control has to be tight if precision is required. Dental floss is better than standard sewing thread, but some razor saws will give an even finer, smoother cut, with less work involved.

I agree with Terry. But..I can say addotionally that making of separate control surfaces usually needs to add some plastic to these as leading edges.So the problem of how much styrene can be lost during cutting, is of no account
practically.

Goes right back to molding and casting......... see attached. I know it's a bit more work but it gives results like buying cast resin accessories.

Attachments

• castings.JPG
    castings.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 166
separate control surfaces usually needs to add some plastic to these as leading edges.So the problem of how much styrene can be lost during cutting, is of no account
practically.

Well, as I´m working in an 1/32 I consider that the plastic lost is approximately correspondent to the gap between wing and ailerons, and I find this way of cut more funny and less hard than using knives (though I have well sharpened ones). In minor scales I agree: every cut is too wide.

Well, as I´m working in an 1/32 I consider that the plastic lost is approximately correspondent to the gap between wing and ailerons, and I find this way of cut more funny and less hard than using knives (though I have well sharpened ones). In minor scales I agree: every cut is too wide.

I see.

Hi Darrell. Your best bet is to upload pics from your hard drive. Make sure they are sized to no more than 800 pixels wide and resolution is down in the 250-300dpi range or less. In the Quick Reply menu box, you'll see an icon that looks like a picture, just to the left of the filmstrip icon. Press that and a window opens where you can select picture files for upload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back