SBD against A6M3- a story of Stanley Vejtasa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I saw that on tv. Soon after he was transferred to a Wildcat squadron, according to the show.

Hi Dan,

have you ever seen that? Man, I got no words, absolutely amazing! I know you told me about this story but when I saw the way of fight with SBD...
Oh man, I wish you could find him and ask him for a signed picture!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnDjwXnj3Y

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NTUzj7cGw

Off topic but I just heard from Jim Brooks who is doing amazingly well. You probably know that but I haven't heard from him in awhile.

Regards,

Bill

Off topic but I just heard from Jim Brooks who is doing amazingly well. You probably know that but I haven't heard from him in awhile.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

if you mean Jimmy Brooks, a former fighter pilot from 31stFG, don´t tell me you´re in touch with him! If so that´s amazing!:shock:
I was searching for his address almost 3 years till I found it. Later I let you know you how. It´s a funny story...
Check this http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/lt-jimmy-brooks-story-10853.html#post300282

Nice weekend

Bill,

if you mean Jimmy Brooks, a former fighter pilot from 31stFG, don´t tell me you´re in touch with him! If so that´s amazing!:shock:
I was searching for his address almost 3 years till I found it. Later I let you know you how. It´s a funny story...
Check this http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/lt-jimmy-brooks-story-10853.html#post300282

Nice weekend

I'm prtty sure it's the same house he and Martha have been living in since I first met him in 1959.

I got off topic on Vejtasa - I would have to think that his feat, which is 100% true, of shooting down three zero's in an SBD against cream of IJN pilots may be unmatched.. he was COMAIR at Miramar when Top Gun syllabus was developed.

I understand that the published docrine developed by John Boyd at Nellis was a core of the fighter tactics being developed there,

Amazing pilot. Maybe Rudel matched him flying Stuka's but offhand I can't think of a better example of bringing fists to a gunfight a- and winning.

Roman, as a matter of fact, Ive got feelers out within the Case Clan to try and get some info on his whereabouts.... Thing is, my family tree is fu*ked up and certain "relatives" are in actuality true blooded assholes...

Dan, never give up, think I got his address and phone #, check my PM:headbang: and lemme know, I´m really CURIOUS

I Pm'd u back Roman.... U got it right...

I called Stan up with the number Roman had given me and his son answered... He asked who it was and I told him Dan Case.... A minute later, Stan got on the phone and said, "I know that last name..."

We talked for about 10 minutes or so, laughing pretty much the whole time... Also talked about Jeff DeBlanc and what his lose has meant to the aviation community....Told a couple of stories etc etc.... Great guy.... He remembered my Grandfather and I with some nice kind words....

He commented about the dogfights episode, which he said was completely accurate.... He loved it.... He said, "For once, those Hollywood types got it right..."

Thanks again Roman for putting me back in touch with Uncle Swede... It was great....

I Pm'd u back Roman.... U got it right...

I called Stan up with the number Roman had given me and his son answered... He asked who it was and I told him Dan Case.... A minute later, Stan got on the phone and said, "I know that last name..."

We talked for about 10 minutes or so, laughing pretty much the whole time... Also talked about Jeff DeBlanc and what his lose has meant to the aviation community....Told a couple of stories etc etc.... Great guy.... He remembered my Grandfather and I with some nice kind words....

He commented about the dogfights episode, which he said was completely accurate.... He loved it.... He said, "For once, those Hollywood types got it right..."

Thanks again Roman for putting me back in touch with Uncle Swede... It was great....

Awesome - I still consider that fight as the greatest US dogfight in the war.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 194

Users who are viewing this thread

Back