SBD Dauntless

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chris, I've got some specs showing the differnces, SBD1 to SBD5. They were mainly to do with fuel tanks, armour and the standardisation of twin .30 cal rear MG's., although there were some engine differences. I'll check it all out and post something later, with pics if possible, probably about mid-day eastern time, as it's 03.10 hrs here. Can't sleep, got a streaming bl**dy cold!!

Really appreciate that Eric, you don't know how much, as often there aren't any underside shots to go by.

Terry, I've narrowed it down to an SBD-2 from the Hornet. Or maybe Lt. Cmdr Richard Best as it was his last flight and he was in on the attack on the first 3 flat tops. Definately not an SBD-4 or -5 as they were not at Midway. I think I have most of what I need except for a clear shot of the rear gun arrangement. Need to scratch build that.

EDIT: I meant Enterprise. Found some good sites. While the one is for CFS it has some good markings with a good explanation

Air Groups on CV-6 USS Enterprise

and

Richard Halsey Best, Lieutenant Commander, United States Navy

Hi Chris, I'm still up and about - can't sleep due to streaming eyes and sneezing like a demented sneezing thing!
Anyway, I've checked my refs, and didn't have what I thought I had! It's all later period stuff. I can post some info on specs, but there's more concise info, with pics, and colour walk around pics. at the sites shown below.
The first one is a preserved RNZAF SBD-2, with specs, and some good colour detail shots.
The second is the recovery from Lake Michigan of BuNo 2106, now in the Pensacola Museum, and shows the rear gun mounting.
The final one is from Cyber Model, and has a colour walk around with some excellent detail shots that should be useful (real, not model!)

The sites are:-
Kiwi Aircraft Images : Douglas SBD Dauntless
http://hsfeatures.com/features04marinesat midwaypart1
www.cybermodel.com/aircraft/sbd
On the latter, you should see, on the top left of the page - SBD, Photo Walk Around.
Click on that, and there's a load of good shots.
Hope this helps mate.

Neither, Stanley Vejtasa, nor VS-5, were at Midway.

I looked back through all those posts thinking I mixed something up somewhere, and I'll be damned if I can see where I suggested Swede was at Midway...

I know a few posts later I posted info about the SBD-2 Dauntless BuNo 2106 which was both at Pearl Harbor on 7 December and then flew from Midway atoll during the battle of Midway...

Did I miss something?

I believe EVanGilder's photos are of a SBD-5, and the markings are definitely post Midway.

I believe the best way to identify the differences between the models is at the Carburetor scoop and the rear gunner's armament. The trunk on the -1 is more curved at the top. I forget what the -2 looked like. The -3 had a flat top carb scoop and twin guns aft IIRC. The -5 has no carb scoop and no spinner. I did quite a lot of reading on the subject a couple years ago when selecting a model to build for Combat Flight Simulator. I settled on the -3 as the best subject for my purposes.

- Ivan.

I looked back through all those posts thinking I mixed something up somewhere, and I'll be damned if I can see where I suggested Swede was at Midway...
I know a few posts later I posted info about the SBD-2 Dauntless BuNo 2106 which was both at Pearl Harbor on 7 December and then flew from Midway atoll during the battle of Midway...
Did I miss something?

The original post/poster specifically identified the Battle of Midway for his SBD project.

You came right back in the second message in the thread with a Vejtasa and VS-5 recommendation.

I am simply pointing out that neither were at the Battle of Midway, thus they did not fall into the category which the original poster raised and, perhaps, clarifying a statement that could have led the unwary to erroneous conclusions.

Sorry if you find reason to feel defensive at clarification.

For the sake of clarity, LTJG Vejtasa was reporting to VF(R)-10 at North Island NAS on 4 June 1942; VS-5 was at Kaneohe NAS preparing to go aboard USS Saratoga when she arrived from the San Diego.

Regards

Guys, that may have been my mistake not clarifing what I was looking for. I wanted info on SBD's and as this thread went along I realized I wanted to do something around Midway as my model with have to be an early SBD.

Thanks everyone for the info. Checking pics now.

Ivan, you're correct and I think I can get away with a SBD-2 from an SBD-1. That and the rear gun arrangements are the only external differences I could see.

EDIT: Terry, I can get the Kiwi link up but the others say page not found.

Well NJ, you're going to have a heck of an assist on the details from Eric's photos...that's a great shot of the underside weathering he posted!

And R Leonard, no probs here...I've been buried in projects/deadlines/etc lately, and you had me wondering if I had mixed up my info! :lol:

I've been known to do that on occasion... :)

Chris, leave it with me. I'll see if I can download the relevant pics, and post them if possible.

Dunno if these'll help with your gun build or not...
Last six were drawn by me for my 3d TBD build. The TBD's (some or all, depending on who's source ya read) were battlefield modified with SBD spares just prior to Midway.
(accuracy is not so great on my drawings, but may help when scaling down. you can download 3d model of them here.)

Attachments

• Mark2_3.jpg
    Mark2_3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Mark2_Text.jpg
    Mark2_Text.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Mark2_2.jpg
    Mark2_2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 111
  • SBD_gunner_CVL22.jpg
    SBD_gunner_CVL22.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 117
  • sbd GunnerVan.jpg
    sbd GunnerVan.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 114
  • LifeAd.jpg
    LifeAd.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DADSGUNNR_2sm.jpg
    DADSGUNNR_2sm.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 49853150._MG_1517.jpg
    49853150._MG_1517.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 106
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 00.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 00.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 110
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 01.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 01.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 104
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 02.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 02.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 107
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 03.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 03.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 111
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 05.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 05.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 132
  • twin ANM2 mkII mount 04.png
    twin ANM2 mkII mount 04.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 114
Just stumbled accross this one today.. Nice COLOR shot of a '43 insgnia SBD's rear guns being loaded by an armourer.

Attachments

• 13776.jpg
    13776.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 90
Heres a couple of cockpit / general shots of the CAF's Dauntless for you. I dont suppose there was that much difference between the marks, internally. Interesting to note the clear view panel in the floor

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 109
Nice drawings and photos guys. I am seriously thinking of building a 1/48 model now of this bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back