Scoped K98k and Mosin Nagant at the range

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe the scope mounts were adjustable for windage. Consider that at the time, The Unertl scopes used by the US relied on the mounts for adjustments.

Keep in mind also that there were many lower powered scopes in use on both sides (Typically in the 2.5x range).

- Ivan.

The manufacturing standard was identical for the rifle made through the 30's 40's, and the tolerances were very tight, so that wasn't the reason behind the design. But most rifle bullets are wider to the rear, and that includes for example the Sierra MatchKing projectile which is world renowned for its accuracy.

Hello Soren,

Your claim regarding the Sierra MatchKing projectiles is simply incorrect. The sides are intended to be parallel. In .308 caliber, the diameters are held to the range .3080 - .3082 inch. My source in this case is Sierra Bullets at 1800 223 8799. I figure they would know.

- Ivan.

I believe the scope mounts were adjustable for windage. Consider that at the time, The Unertl scopes used by the US relied on the mounts for adjustments.

Keep in mind also that there were many lower powered scopes in use on both sides (Typically in the 2.5x range).

- Ivan.

That is true.

Hello Soren,

Your claim regarding the Sierra MatchKing projectiles is simply incorrect. The sides are intended to be parallel. In .308 caliber, the diameters are held to the range .3080 - .3082 inch. My source in this case is Sierra Bullets at 1800 223 8799. I figure they would know.

- Ivan.

I measured the .323 caliber Sierra MK projectile is it is about 0.02 mm wider at the bottom, that is the reason for my statement. Oddly enough I measured the sS projectile as-well and unlike the document states it is parallel, it's the same 8.23mm where the base tapering starts. Tried with a SmK projectile as-well and this was also parallel. Both were from 1942.

I do not think any of this has any effect on accuracy however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back