Scratch build Boeing F4B-4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is where I had to be creative. I followed the instructions on building up a box frame for the fuselage. This act alone reduced the interior area by at least 20%-25%. The sides now have vertical walls as opposed to the expansive concave skin following the same curvature along the fuselage.

The former labeled "E" is going to be replaced by laminations of balsa strips using the former as a guide to the correct shape. This will
Allow room for the two machine gun breeches on either side of the instrument panel as the last photo shows.

The photo shows me holding the instrument panel over former "E" which will be replaced by the balsa laminations.

So right away I was working with more confined space.

Attachments

• IMG_9210.png
    531.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9206.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9198.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9202.png
    270.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9204.png
    427.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9205.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9209.png
    396.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9061.png
    549.5 KB · Views: 1
Jumping ahead, using the full sized cockpit from a reference book, I'm also posting overall shots of the model interior facing the instrument panel to give you a comparison of my objectives.

The board on front with holes is the cartridge container. By firing off bullets, the pilot can glance at the holes & see the remaining shells he has at his disposal.

It's readily apparent between photos of the full sized aircraft & the model, that the closed in vertical walls are already having a restrictive affect.

Attachments

• IMG_9192.png
    408.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9064.png
    488.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread