Screenshots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Ivan and guys !
To tell the truth, I was inspired by MS Flight Simulator to begin my CGI life.

FS2002.JPG

This Zero is not my work. Creator is unknown but impressed me very much.

Last edited:
Hello Shinpachi,
That looks like a A6M2 though with a late war paint scheme.
Here is something with a similar shape but much less smooth and another shot of it from a more recognizable angle.
The instrument panel is a compromise between actual appearance and functionality from Combat Flight Simulator and the background is actually a modified screenshot from the cockpit.
At the time, I did not know how to program my own gauges so all gauges here are stock.

If anyone here knows how to make mouse functions work with Visual C++ 2005, please PM me.

- Ivan.

Doppelganger.jpg
A6M2_Cruise.jpg
A6MPanel.jpg

Thanks Shinpachi,

Here is another that has pretty typical markings for my models: The markings do not match any aircraft or any unit but are intended to resemble the style used by the Italian Air Force. Just about all the markings on this aeroplane have some kind of personal meaning to me.
The spotted camouflage is based on the Macchi C.202 that is in the Smithsonian.

This is actually the second of a pair of Macchi.
The first was a Macchi C.205 and the subject of a tutorial a few years back.
The C.205 Veltro has not been released because I want it to carry a "smoke ring" camouflage and don't know how to actually do it properly.

The biggest problem with creating a paint scheme for CFS aircraft is that the texture files are only 256 x 256 pixels and each pixel is about 1/2 inch wide on the aircraft. Painting a precise image is tough with 1/2 inch wide blocks of colour.

- Ivan.
ItalyAnna.jpg

Here are a pair of Wildcats.
The only real differences between the models is the paint job for panel lines (wing fold), a minor difference in the canopy framing and one gun port per wing.
The hardest part of building this model was trying to represent the hollow landing gear well.

- Ivan.

F4F-3_RF_Ground.jpg
F4F-3_RAHigh.jpg
F4F-4_RAHigh.jpg

This was the result of an attempt to prove that a nicely shaped P-38 Lightning could be built within the limits of Aircraft Factory 99.
AF99 has a few bugs to deal with and this project came very close to the limit of 1200 polygons.
Note that many simplifications had to be made in order for the project to build at all.
The multi coloured stripes in various places are to assist in texture mapping to get the left and right sides to render the same.

- Ivan.

P-38J_TextureLayout.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Wurger, this is one that you might like. It is an older project dating back to around 2001 to 2002, but it has been updated within the last couple years. The visual model is supposed to resemble a FW 190A-8 but with some features that were throwbacks to earlier versions. It does not carry the ETC 501 rack and even has a complete set of landing gear doors that were more common to the A-6. I can't quite get the flight model the way I want, so it has not been re released. This is one that my Son liked as well though I have no idea why. He even had his own personalized markings applied to one he flew.

- Ivan.
Wurger_LFHigh.jpg

Last edited:
Although Combat Flight Simulator has been around for a very long time, I do not believe I have ever seen a P-40N with a long tail.
There have been several conversions of short tail P-40's by modifying the canopy structure but that is about as far as it goes.

My own P-40s were originally based on dimensional drawings by William Wylam.
Although the result was unmistakably a short tail P-40, the shape always seemed just a bit distorted.
A few years ago, I tried to modify just the tail section to create a long tail P-40K and when I did that, it was pretty obvious that the shape was very wrong. It turned out that many of the dimension in Wylam's drawings were pure fantasy and there were a couple not very obvious mistakes. The biggest mistake was that he confused the Thrust Line with the Fuselage Reference Line.

Eventually I found a drawing at 1 pixel = 0.01 feet which matched every dimensional specification I could find. I used that to completely rebuild my P-40E and from there I went on to build a P-40N.

- Ivan.
P-40N_Runway.jpg

The Merlin powered P-40 also had not been treated very well. Most other "Merlin P-40's" are just the regular Allison P-40 but with the Carburetor Scoop removed. There is actually a lot more in the way of differences.
The Radiator scoop is slightly further forward.
The Radiator exhaust is also a little further forward.
The Radiator exhaust fairing has a much different shape
The cowl is a bit deeper.
The Carburetor inlet is inside the Radiator opening.
The Radiator configuration has a much different shape.

- Ivan.

P-40F_RFRunway.jpg
P-40F_Underside.jpg

Nice shots guys!

Thanks Guys,

I have actually been thinking of working on a Twin Engine P-40 model. One was put together as a mock-up in plywood and folks have done it before in other flight simulators and as plastic models. There are a bunch of details to work out for a plausible aeroplane.

- Ivan.

A famous quote by "Gabby" Gabreski, hope its correct : "IF YOU WANT TO GET THE GIRL FLY A P51′ IF YOU WANT TO GO HOME TO YOUR GIRL STRAP INTO A P47. NUFF SAID ! "

Hello Folks,

I was wondering whether I should post these images at all because the subject isn't something I built (at least not entirely).
The original AFX that this model was built from was by Richard Osborne.
A few years ago, in what I thought would be a quick project, I decided to give a try at improving it a bit.
A bit over a month later, I had altered over 90% of the sizes and shapes of the parts, remapped several textures, added a bunch of new pieces, and changed the entire assembly sequence to reduce bleeds.
Just as an example, the Wing Span is a couple feet longer and even the length is different from the original.

The flight model and damage profile are also new.

I collected these screenshots to illustrate a design issue in another forum.

- Ivan.

Me109E_Flare.jpg
Me109E_ComponentTyres.jpg

First attempt at a Hamilton Standard propeller for the Thunderbolt.
Actually it is the second attempt. The first attempt lasted about 2 hours before I reworked it.
Does anyone know where I can find a good reference for propeller blade dimensions for this beast?

- Ivan.
Photo_Compare1.jpg
Photo_Compare2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back