SEA KING?!? (Oh I Mean Jolly Green) -IDENTIFICATION SOLVED!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Adler - for info purposes I found the following.....

Sikorsky H-3 Sea King
(USA)
(M-USA-H-U|A-R5-N-T2)
The Sikorsky S-61, a large, versatile twin-engined helicopter. It has been built in versions for Search Rescue (HH-3), ASW (SH-3), tactical transport (CH-3), mine sweeping (RH-3), VIP transport (VH-3), special operations (MH-3), and commercial transport helicopter. Westland built many derivatives as the Sea King and the Commando, and it was also built by Mitsubishi and Agusta. There are two basic models: The original S-61 with a waterthight float bottom, and the enlongated model with a rear loading ramp.
Type: SH-3D
Function: ASW
Year: 1966 Crew: 2 Engines: 2 * 1044kW G.E. T58-GE-10
Rotor Span: 18.90m Length: 16.69m Height: 5.13m
Disc Area: 280.5m2
Empty Weight: 5382kg Max.Weight: 9752kg
Speed: 267km/h Ceiling: 4480m Range: 1005km
Load: 381kg b,t,msl.

Westland Sea King
(Britain)
(M-GB-H-CPU-R5-N-T2)
Westland licence-builds the Sikorsky SH-3 helicopter, and also produces its own developments. The engines are developments of the G.E. T58 installed in the SH-3. Typical for British-built Sea Kings is the radar bulge on top of the fuselage, behind the engines and rotor mast. After the Falkland war, an AEW version was developed with a Searchwater radar, fitted on a rotating arm on the right side of the fuselage. The radar is swung up for landing and down for operation. Just to add some confusion: The RN also operates the Commando, and calls it Sea King HC.4.
Type: Sea King HAS Mk.5
Function: ASW
Year: 1961 Crew: 5 Engines: 2 * 1238kW R.R. Gnome H.1400-1
Rotor Span: 18.90m Length: 22.15m Height: 4.85m Disc Area: 280.59m2
Empty Weight: 6201kg Max.Weight: 9525kg
Speed: 208km/h Ceiling: 3000m Range: 1230km
Load: 22 seats, 2948kg

You know folks I'll humble myself and say that Superunkown and Smokey are correct! I say that after looking at the Jolly Green and comparing it with the original photo!

But both are 72 feet (22 meters) in length which tells me they have the same or very similar fuselages.

Designation: HH-3 Jolly Green Giant
Type: Heavy Lift Helicopter
Manufacturer: Sikorsky
Service Date: 1968
Crew: 3
DIMENSIONS

Length: 73 feet
Wingspan: 62 feet (rotor diameter)
Height: 18 feet 1 inch
Weight (Empty): NA
Weight (Loaded): 22,050 lbs
PERFORMANCE

Powerplant: 2 x General Electric T58-GE-5 turboshaft engines of 1,500 horsepower each.
Max Speed: 154 mph
Max Range: 779 miles with external tanks
Service Ceiling: 21,000 feet
Rate of Climb: NA

Actually, everyone is right - I was surprised to learn that the Sea King and Jolly Green Giant are both versions of the S-61

Sikorsky S-61 - ASW helicopter, many variants including HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant" (1959)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Aircraft_Corporation#Helicopters

Whenever someone says "Jolly Green Giant" I think of this- the Sikorsky S-65 or CH-53

MH-53 Pave Low III

German CH-53G presented in Laage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-65

The CH 53 is the Sikorsky S-65
Sikorsky S-65 - CH-53 Sea Stallion, CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters (1964, 1974)

I told you it was a jolly green! When I said it wasn't a Sea King I was on about the RAF/RN Westland built Sea King, it is still a Sikorsky but looks bugger all like a jolly green.

And "the helicopter guy" DerAdlerIstGelandet was wrong with his comment because he put up a picture of the Sikorsky built, Westland style Sea King that the US use, which is NOT a jolly green.

They may have come from the same prototype but look nothing like each other really.

Sigh....nevermind! we all make mistakes!

its the cabin thats stretched, with a large door

not as big as this though

Yep, you've pretty much nailed it, but it's still a different aircraft. Not like the RAF Chinooks which are just basically stretched....
I'm not trying to be funny, or nasty it's just that I wanted to point out the facts, I don't want to fall out with anyone over this.
I'll shut up now.

Hey bright eyes the S-61 is the civilian name for it and no a S-61 is not a Jolly Green Giant. The Jolly Green Giant is a HH-3. The Sea King is just what the Military calls the S-61. The Jolly Green Giant is different form the S-61 and the Sea King.

The Sea King is more closely related to the S-61 than a Jolly Green Giant. The picture up there is not of a Jolly Green Giant.

Trust me I know my helicopters quite well.

Sigh....nevermind we all make mistakes!

Attachments

• jolly_green_giant_205.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 755
  • s-61_191.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 725
  • sea_king_660.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 709
IT'S AN S-61! IT IS A RUNNING VEHICLE BUILT BY MY GOOD FRIEND DAN MORGAN - GREAT PILOT, MECHANIC, HOMEBUILDER, ETC.! HE ACTUALLY HAS A DRIVE TRAIN ON THIS THING AND IS DRIVING IT TO STURGIS SD TO THE GIANT MOTORCYCLE MEET!

Well Adler - I salute you! you held your ground during this whole discussion - you are "The Helicopter Man!"

Users who are viewing this thread