SEA KING?!? (Oh I Mean Jolly Green) -IDENTIFICATION SOLVED!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Adler - for info purposes I found the following.....

Sikorsky H-3 Sea King
(USA)
(M-USA-H-U|A-R5-N-T2)
The Sikorsky S-61, a large, versatile twin-engined helicopter. It has been built in versions for Search Rescue (HH-3), ASW (SH-3), tactical transport (CH-3), mine sweeping (RH-3), VIP transport (VH-3), special operations (MH-3), and commercial transport helicopter. Westland built many derivatives as the Sea King and the Commando, and it was also built by Mitsubishi and Agusta. There are two basic models: The original S-61 with a waterthight float bottom, and the enlongated model with a rear loading ramp.
Type: SH-3D
Function: ASW
Year: 1966 Crew: 2 Engines: 2 * 1044kW G.E. T58-GE-10
Rotor Span: 18.90m Length: 16.69m Height: 5.13m
Disc Area: 280.5m2
Empty Weight: 5382kg Max.Weight: 9752kg
Speed: 267km/h Ceiling: 4480m Range: 1005km
Load: 381kg b,t,msl.

Westland Sea King
(Britain)
(M-GB-H-CPU-R5-N-T2)
Westland licence-builds the Sikorsky SH-3 helicopter, and also produces its own developments. The engines are developments of the G.E. T58 installed in the SH-3. Typical for British-built Sea Kings is the radar bulge on top of the fuselage, behind the engines and rotor mast. After the Falkland war, an AEW version was developed with a Searchwater radar, fitted on a rotating arm on the right side of the fuselage. The radar is swung up for landing and down for operation. Just to add some confusion: The RN also operates the Commando, and calls it Sea King HC.4.
Type: Sea King HAS Mk.5
Function: ASW
Year: 1961 Crew: 5 Engines: 2 * 1238kW R.R. Gnome H.1400-1
Rotor Span: 18.90m Length: 22.15m Height: 4.85m Disc Area: 280.59m2
Empty Weight: 6201kg Max.Weight: 9525kg
Speed: 208km/h Ceiling: 3000m Range: 1230km
Load: 22 seats, 2948kg

hh-3e.jpg

hh-3e2.jpg

The HH-3E, the Jolly Green Giant
http://www.farfromglory.com/hh3-sikorsky.htm

Yep, looks like a HH-3E Jolly Green Giant with its floats removed
http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=179

You know folks I'll humble myself and say that Superunkown and Smokey are correct! I say that after looking at the Jolly Green and comparing it with the original photo! :oops:

But both are 72 feet (22 meters) in length which tells me they have the same or very similar fuselages.:rolleyes:

Designation: HH-3 Jolly Green Giant
Type: Heavy Lift Helicopter
Manufacturer: Sikorsky
Service Date: 1968
Crew: 3
DIMENSIONS

Length: 73 feet
Wingspan: 62 feet (rotor diameter)
Height: 18 feet 1 inch
Weight (Empty): NA
Weight (Loaded): 22,050 lbs
PERFORMANCE

Powerplant: 2 x General Electric T58-GE-5 turboshaft engines of 1,500 horsepower each.
Max Speed: 154 mph
Max Range: 779 miles with external tanks
Service Ceiling: 21,000 feet
Rate of Climb: NA

Actually, everyone is right - I was surprised to learn that the Sea King and Jolly Green Giant are both versions of the S-61

Sikorsky S-61 - ASW helicopter, many variants including HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant" (1959)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Aircraft_Corporation#Helicopters

Whenever someone says "Jolly Green Giant" I think of this- the Sikorsky S-65 or CH-53

491px-MH-53J_Pave_Low_III.jpg

MH-53 Pave Low III
800px-CH-53G_Laage.jpg

German CH-53G presented in Laage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-65

The CH 53 is the Sikorsky S-65
Sikorsky S-65 - CH-53 Sea Stallion, CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters (1964, 1974)

I told you it was a jolly green! When I said it wasn't a Sea King I was on about the RAF/RN Westland built Sea King, it is still a Sikorsky but looks bugger all like a jolly green.

And "the helicopter guy" DerAdlerIstGelandet was wrong with his comment because he put up a picture of the Sikorsky built, Westland style Sea King that the US use, which is NOT a jolly green.

They may have come from the same prototype but look nothing like each other really.

Sigh....nevermind! :lol: we all make mistakes!

The Jolly Green Giant is just a stretched Sea King

Yep, you've pretty much nailed it, but it's still a different aircraft. Not like the RAF Chinooks which are just basically stretched....
I'm not trying to be funny, or nasty it's just that I wanted to point out the facts, I don't want to fall out with anyone over this.
I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

superunknown said:
And "the helicopter guy" DerAdlerIstGelandet was wrong with his comment because he put up a picture of the Sikorsky built, Westland style Sea King that the US use, which is NOT a jolly green.

They may have come from the same prototype but look nothing like each other really.

Sigh....nevermind! :lol: we all make mistakes!

Hey bright eyes the S-61 is the civilian name for it and no a S-61 is not a Jolly Green Giant. The Jolly Green Giant is a HH-3. The Sea King is just what the Military calls the S-61. The Jolly Green Giant is different form the S-61 and the Sea King.

The Sea King is more closely related to the S-61 than a Jolly Green Giant. The picture up there is not of a Jolly Green Giant.

Trust me I know my helicopters quite well.

Sigh....nevermind :lol: we all make mistakes!

Attachments

• jolly_green_giant_205.jpg
    jolly_green_giant_205.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 751
  • s-61_191.jpg
    s-61_191.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 721
  • sea_king_660.jpg
    sea_king_660.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 705
IT'S AN S-61! IT IS A RUNNING VEHICLE BUILT BY MY GOOD FRIEND DAN MORGAN - GREAT PILOT, MECHANIC, HOMEBUILDER, ETC.! HE ACTUALLY HAS A DRIVE TRAIN ON THIS THING AND IS DRIVING IT TO STURGIS SD TO THE GIANT MOTORCYCLE MEET!

Well Adler - I salute you! you held your ground during this whole discussion - you are "The Helicopter Man!" :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back