Seafire Mk.II, Mk.III, MK.IV... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pisis

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2004
Praga Mater Urbium
Hi!

Photos needed! Of Seafire Mk.II, Mk.III, even MK.IV... What I need most is the landing hook of "type A", and what was above it i the fuselage, respectively... Was there just a hole into the fueslage or was there some sort of shaft?

I already have these reference materials (see the attachment), but although it is a lot, they are still not answering my question.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• SAM_MD_05_090.jpg
    SAM_MD_05_090.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 467
  • SAM_MD_05_091.jpg
    SAM_MD_05_091.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Mk4_1942PCD.jpg
    Mk4_1942PCD.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 432
Hi Pisis !!

Maybe it can be a bit helpful.

source unknown.

Attachments

• Seafire LF III.jpg
    Seafire LF III.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 760
  • Seafire hook.jpg
    Seafire hook.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 773
On the one in Photo Pisis it is coupled directly onto a universal joint which you can just make out forard of the hook cowl anything less robust would be ripped staight out

Hi Pisis
To my shame I can not remember the hook arrangement on the seafire even though I suspect the one in Trackend's picture is the one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton and I worked on it when it was being transported to there. I was on M.A.R.T.S.U. (Mobile Aircraft Repair Transport and Salvage Unit) at the time and we shifted all sorts of wierd things. Cameras were frowned on so nobody took many pictures of what we did but if you ask I can send you a couple of .pdf files of the few I have just drop me your email.
It's actually quite disconcerting to see people modelling things I worked on as a matter of daily business and to realise that they probably know more about the stuff than I do.
Aircraft fitting is done from the book and too the book. That is to say you gain knowledge of your aircraft then when a servicing opperation comes due you are supposed to read up on it then go do it "from the book" you then sign for it as being done "too (or by) the book". You are even allowed to take the service manuals into your QM, or QS, exams (Qualified to Maintain, Qualified to Sign) because there are no breakdown services at 35000 feet.
Sorry about the length of this reply. More to the point the archive you need is here:
Centre for Naval Aviation Records Research
Fleet Air Arm Museum
Box D6, RNAS Yeovilton
Near Ilchester, Somerset
BA22 8HT
Tel: +44 (0) 1935 840565
Fax: +44 (0) 1935 842630
E-mail: [email protected]
Hope it helps
Dragonsinger

Looks like the attatchment screwed up so if there are two images I appologise.:oops:

Attachments

• Venom 04-1.bmp
    206.6 KB · Views: 312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back