Seafury vs F4U-4. Which is better?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well if Soren's sites are right there so close that its a tough call, fighter wise but then the F-4Us range and attack ability make it an overall winner esp off a carrier where space limits the number of aircraft.

As to climb
1. The airplane that stalls first in a vertical scissors becomes the target.
2. a favorite escape of P-38s from Japanese aircraft was a tight counter clockwise spiral climb that they could not follow. By turning counter to the Japanese aircraft torque the P-38 had an advantage.
3. The British tests of the P-38F found that other fighters (trailing) could not effectively engage a P-38 in a very slow corkscrew climb because they would either stall or overshoot (the P-38F stalled, power on, at 74mph).

Of course numbers 2 and 3 are unique to the P-38 however a good climb is always an advantage. I do agree with Twitch, that if your being chased by an aircraft with center firing weapons whatever you do to escape is in jeopardy for the first few seconds to a minute while your still in range depending on relative speeds of the aircraft involved.

wmaxt

maybe so, but if i'd wanted to use the other one right now don't you think i'd have changed it myself ;)

Hi I know this is an old thread,however, my father flew both the F4U and the Seafury in combat with the FAA at the end of WW2 with the F4U and during Korea with the Fury, he has always said that he would rather be in the Corsair as they found it a bit more maneuverable and because there was always a weakness with the engine in the fury as he found out on more than one occasion ,he also flew the Seafire 47 as was mentioned but did not rate it as a naval fighter but as a wonderful weekend" sports plane"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back