Searching for the title of a book

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbmc1969

Senior Airman
Feb 16, 2019
Does the search engine let you search for an exact string? I'm searching for a book title and I've entered it in quotation marks, but the search results find every post with any of the words in it.
"Twelve Days in May"

Similarly, if I search for "Norden bombsight," the results include content with "Norden" but without "bombsight."

Well, that's why I started out with, "Does the search engine let you search for an exact string?" And why I posted in Errors/Problems/Questions (about the site), not in one of the aviation topics. ;)

OK. Please check on the thread ... Sort order of search results

Then , check on your settings for the searching option in your Account/Prefferences section. Also when you use the Advanced Search button you may find more options for the searching to set. I have checked on both key expressions you posted above and all was displayed correctly in order from the most fitting strings in posts to the single words in the threads. If there is not displayed a such thread/post or the correct sentence it means that the searching egine didn't find anything what it was running for.

Here a screenshot with the results for the Norden bombsight using my settings and marked the option Search titles only.

ssr.jpg

OK, that worked better, but not perfectly.

The search function really needs a literal string function.

Come on , it does. If it doesn't you would get nothing but rubbish while the system displays all what contains the string you specified in the searching line. So if you type word "the day" you can't get "the night" unless the word night is in one line with or next to the "day" . What is more if you don't specify which day you mean the system can't reply with the "Monday" word because it hasn't been the AI yet and is not the mentalist. ;)

Come on , it does. If it doesn't you would get nothing but rubbish while the system displays all what contains the string you specified in the searching line. So if you type word "the day" you can't get "the night" unless the word night is in one line with or next to the "day" . What is more if you don't specify which day you mean the system can't reply with the "Monday" word because it hasn't been the AI yet and is not the mentalist. ;)
That's not what a literal string is.

First section (Syntax) of String literal - Wikipedia

Or were you being sarcastic?

were you being sarcastic
Wurger is the most helpfull guy around. By far.
In fact, i am amazed to put it very ..very mildly, a person active here since Feb 16, 2019 can think that he would be other then helpfull. Or being sacastic towards a member in his reply to a question from a member.
He gave a clear answer to your question with a little joke on the end. Yes that is why the smilie is there.
Really... some people...

Wurger is the most helpfull guy around. By far.
In fact, i am amazed to put it very ..very mildly, a person active here since Feb 16, 2019 can think that he would be other then helpfull. Or being sacastic towards a member in his reply to a question from a member.
He gave a clear answer to your question with a little joke on the end. Yes that is why the smilie is there.
Really... some people...
His answer literally didn't make sense (no pun intended), so they context of the humor didn't make sense.

It was the equivalent of me saying, "We need fuel injection instead of a carburettor" and Wurger replying, "Oh, come on, the carburettor works fine because if it didn't, the reduction gear would keep failing."

You wouldn't know what to do with that answer, would you?

His answer literally didn't make sense (no pun intended), so they context of the humor didn't make sense.

It was the equivalent of me saying, "We need fuel injection instead of a carburettor" and Wurger replying, "Oh, come on, the carburettor works fine because if it didn't, the reduction gear would keep failing."

You wouldn't know what to do with that answer, would you?
Strange. I understood. Must be i have superpowers.

By the way, you also are missing the point of someone taking time and expertise to answer your question. And i repeat, he does know an awfull lot. Or he finds out for someone. Ask me how i know.

Be civil. This is not facebook.

Lets move on.

Strange. I understood. Must be i have superpowers.
In all seriousness (no sarcasm, not an attack), did you understand it as a a direct reply to my point that the search function should handle literal strings? Or what did you understand?

The reply started with, "Come on, it does." I didn't understand how the rest of the reply connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back