Searching for videos of Japanese carrier landing accidents

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
This question has me for quite a while now. I've seen a lot of World War II videos showing American planes have accidents during carrier landings. But I haven't seen the Japanese side of carrier accidents. Is there film footage still out there, or there weren't any Japanese cameramen on board carriers?

-Pong

...at the bottm of the marianas trench!

Seriously, and now this is just a wild guess, I would think in such a "face saving" culture that filming someone screwing up would be frowned upon. Just a total, obviously uneducated, guess.

Hi, Pong.
Thanks for your very interesting question.

As Capt. Vick points out, the "face saving" should be the reason.

I often find accident photos on the old IJA/IJN records.
They were treated as 'Top Secret'.

Attachments

• 0425_01.JPG
    0425_01.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 0900_01.JPG
    0900_01.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 173
Hi Shinpachi. I also heard that all footage and photos were destroyed post war. I am doing next a 1/500 IJN carrier Hiryu and am finding photos hard to track down. Can you help?

Hi, chook!

I have searched Hiryu photos but no more than those taken at the battle of Midway. Please check how our modellers are making Hiryu at the following sites. Attached image is a gift post card at the Hiryu launching ceremony in 1937. I think this image is rare and wish any help for you.

Modellers sites in Japan:

'P/'V'QE‹ó•êu"ò—´vEƒCƒ"ƒfƒbƒNƒX

"ò—´

è'¼å¤©ãƒ»è‰¦èˆ¹æ¨¡åž‹æ—¥è¨˜: 空母 飛龍

¥Ë¥Á¥â 1/500 ¶õÊìÈôζ - ¢¥¢¦Ì¤³Îǧ´ÏÂ⢦¢¥ - Yahoo!¥Ö¥í¥°

Photos:
Hiryu launching memorial goods
Yahoo!¥ª¡¼¥¯¥·¥ç¥ó - ·³´ÏÈôζ¿Ê¿åµ*Ç°¾®ÊªÆþ¡Ê¼ëÆùÆþ»ÈÍÑÉʡ˶¦È¢ÉÕ

Hiryu launching memorial goods
¡Ô·³´ÏÈôζ¿Ê¿åµ*Ç°¡Õ¼ëÆùÆþ¤ì¡¦³¨ÍÕ½ñ - µìÆüËܳ¤·³¼ý½¸Å¸¼¨´Ï - Yahoo!¥Ö¥í¥°

Note: When I paste the link, the server seems catching Japanese letters to make the link address unreadable. Sorry but I've confirmed connection works well.

Good day, mate!

Attachments

• Hiryu_postcard01RS.jpg
    Hiryu_postcard01RS.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Hiryu_postcard01_cut.jpg
    Hiryu_postcard01_cut.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 176
Wow. Can't read the writing but very useful photos and a special thanks for the postcard. Many thanks my friend but don't hold your breath for finished photo cause still doing a mustang but you'll see the finished product for sure.

Sean

You are welcome chook. I hope my information might be of any help for your furture modelling:)

Attached image: The Battle of Leite from Photo Weekly 1944

Attachments

• Photo_Weekly_Battle_of_Leite.JPG
    Photo_Weekly_Battle_of_Leite.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 167
Thanks Aaron for your comment:)
In fact, I often find unexpected photos and articles on the old magazines.

For example, a Japanese old hotel owner in Hawaii whom Editor met in 1937 confided that he was wishing his hotel which was the fruit of his efforts to be bombed by Japanese air-raid some day. It is hard for me to understand a little bit as I live in the Japanese homeland of 2009.

I'll try to introduce such stuff in the future.

You are welcome, Pong.
I enjoyed your thread very much. Thank You.

If you are interested in the Japanese historical movie archives( covering 1904 to 1968 ), you may access to the eizo-lib though it contains not a few western films too.

I am looking for help trying to find a list of or information on pilots who died in crashes aboard carriers in WWII. May have been flying Corsair or similar plane. Can anyone help me? I am trying to locate an individual. Please e-mail me at [email protected]

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back