Seismic activity raises sunken ships in Iwo Jima

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

msxyz

Senior Airman
Jul 17, 2012
The news have been bit confusing; some say these were ships scuttled to block access to a beach head, other say these ships were confiscated and sunk after Iwo Jima fell.

At any rate, the seabed under Iwo Jima is slowly rising (not a good sign, it means, there is a lot of pressure build up underground by hot gases and magma) and these old ghosts are being brought back to the surface

Volcanic Activity Lifts Sunken WWII Ghost Ships From the Ocean Off Iwo Jima

The process is not as sudden as some news sites would like their audience to believe, but it has accelerated dramatically in the last three years.

Last edited:
The news have been bit confusing; some say these were ships scuttled to block access to a beach head, other say these ships were confiscated and sunk after Iwo Jima fell.
I'll stick with the article that researched the USN records....

I know, I know... actually researching real archived documents flies in the face of all interwebs ethos.

I know, I know... actually researching real archived documents flies in the face of all interwebs ethos.
You'd be surprised how many journalists writing for traditional media don't do proper research or tend write down something before having understood it (but they always know better...). I've worked with them as scientific advisor/consultant.

Thanks for the link. This should be a trustworthy source.

Users who are viewing this thread