Shelf life of thinned Enamel paints.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I have on occasion, more often than I would perhaps like to admit, made too much paint to use with my airbrush for the current job. My question is, if I store the thinned paint, in this case enamel in a reasonably airtight container, I use small glass jars, how long is it usable?

I do not want to take a chance on gumming up an airbrush and the paint and thinner are relatively inexpensive so storing to conserve is more a matter of my waste not want not mentality.

Any thoughts or experiences to relate? My normal ratio is 50/50 paint vs thinner. In this specific case its Testors Model Master paint using Testors own formulated thinner.

Thanks in advance.

I think it depends on the air temperature you are going to store the thinned colour and how much tightly the container is closed. I use the Humbrol enamels and have been able to keep a can of thinned dope in a cold place for a quite long time..

My average house temperature is 72 degrees F, with low humidity. The jar is fairly air tight, I store liquid glue in the same type of jar with no issues, for as long as a year.

I guess a little experimentation is in order!

I use Model Master enamels and the few times I've tried to save some paint thinned with their airbrush thinner it did not last. I now try to mix only what I will use at that time right in the airbrush cup. I have added their regular thinner to bottles of paint that were starting to get thick and that worked well but I have not used the regular thinner for airbrushing.

My average house temperature is 72 degrees F, with low humidity. The jar is fairly air tight, I store liquid glue in the same type of jar with no issues, for as long as a year.

I guess a little experimentation is in order!

My average house temperature is abot 19-23C what ia about 66-73F depending of a year period. So if there is a colder area in your house it should work.

I use Model Master enamels and the few times I've tried to save some paint thinned with their airbrush thinner it did not last. I now try to mix only what I will use at that time right in the airbrush cup. I have added their regular thinner to bottles of paint that were starting to get thick and that worked well but I have not used the regular thinner for airbrushing.

That is the path I am most likely to follow. I too have had bad luck with airbrush specific thinners but very good luck with same vendor standard thinners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back