shot down airplane at Leuven,Belgium

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lordbizarre

Recruit
May 27, 2009
Yo !
just new on this forum but looking for a decent answer on an old question :
when I was a young man(16y) I received a piece of an (USA-)airplane , shot down in WWII near Leuven,Belgium , and sold the metal (aluminium) .
The farmer said it was a tip of a wing.
I never knew what airplane it was , but on the remains of that tip there was an id-tag .
I noted the indications and found that paper back ,lately when moving to another house .
Is there someone who can tell me more about that plane with these info's ?
thanks !
on the id-tag was mentioned :
type : 683
DWG.N° :51H77211
SERIAL N° : P1S4780
Capacity :
INSPECTION:here's only a round mark(stamped) with P1 in it and 295
MAKERS N°:
DATE:

Hello M8,

I think there can be some one who can help you much better than me but looking at these datas I've got impression that it was Avro 683 Lancaster.

Last edited:
There wouldn't be a Squadron number in any data block or similar. Apart from it being unneccesary, and the fact that individual aircraft could be on the strength of more than one squadron (at different times, of course), any information regarding a squadron, or group, would be classified. It would not be written, printed or stamped on an aircraft.
It's the inspecting station or section's stamp, the P1 being either the inspection itself, with the other number the inspecting point, or vice versa.

yes,thanks !
the Lancaster must have been the one who crashed in the Brouwersstraat.That's not far away from the place where I got that wing tip.
Strange that the Germans didn't got it , it was at least 2 m long and 1,5 m high...but unfortunatly it's gone now...(as a young man every penny was welcome...in the 70's I mean !)

Last edited:
Hello,
I am fom Aalst Blgium....This question you can ask to Cunrik De Decker from the "Belgian Aviation History Association" he wrote a books !! about bomber shot down over Belgium ( and not only that! look for
Belgian Aviation History Association membership is 20€ and it is fantastic
Gerrit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back