Sir. I would fly with you ANYWHERE.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is all about size.

A Pilot with great big hairy ones like that flailing in the breeze.

I would fly with him any day at all.

Chris has put the right spin on this having served there himself :salute: I actually don't believe the validity of it as it happened 3 years ago and was ran by the BBC for a very short while. The fact that the helicopter pilot found the very exact Marine shooting at him and there was never any mention of the weapon used makes me think this is an urban legend. I think if it really happened we would of known the name of the pilot and the Marine....

In that you may be correct. That marine would not have been by himself and finding the exact one would be way too dificult so in that case yes it probably is an urban legend.

Now something like this happening in 2003 was more likely than it is now because back then the Iraqi Airforce and Army had limited aircraft in the sky. Most were flown to Iran or burried in the desert or destroyed on the ground but some made it into the air, and the ground guy were never told that the Iraqi Airforce completly had failed to exist.

Now we are getting somewhere. The story is too convenient. If true, the pilot would have been painted as a hero and the marine villified in the press. The press would just love to have a story that makes our armed forces out to be a bunch of boobs. Sad. But true.

As for who the pilot would hit that would be the CO as an the pilot also an officer would get in a lot more crap for smacking "other ranks"

the lancaster kicks *** said:
but isn't it possable they just didn't want to, as a security measure, mention the names or locations?
Possibly...

But then again it doesn't explain how this pilot managed to accost the one jar head shooting at his aircraft..

But then again if one of these soldiers allegedly abused Iraqi prisoners you'd see how fast the BBC or AP would have their names plastered on every newspaper in the western world...

pbfoot said:
As for who the pilot would hit that would be the CO as an the pilot also an officer would get in a lot more crap for smacking "other ranks"
True, although we're talking two different armies, there still is a unified command (Chris could probably enlighten us on that more). I'd say if this incident did happen and this RAF officer did strike an enlisted man, he could probably find himself in some trouble....

FLYBOYJ said:
Possibly...

But then again it doesn't explain how this pilot managed to accost the one jar head shooting at his aircraft..

But then again if one of these soldiers allegedly abused Iraqi prisoners you'd see how fast the BBC or AP would have their names plastered on every newspaper in the western world...

You have that right Joe.

maybe it wasn't reported to a higher authority in the military and the story is from, as you guys are saying, legend? so maybe it is real? i'd wager it is, maybe the marine stepped forward?

maybe it wasn't reported to a higher authority in the military and the story is from, as you guys are saying, legend? so maybe it is real? i'd wager it is, maybe the marine stepped forward?
Maybe....

Still don't explain how the helicopter pilot singled out the one shooter. If he's that good he needs to by flying an attack helicopter; they could remove the FLIR cause he won't need it!

that's what i mean by the marine stepped forward, he may've said "Howdy partner, i's the one that's be shootin' at that there whirly bird" you may formulate your own British reply ;)

that's what i mean by the marine stepped forward, he may've said "Howdy partner, i's the one that's be shootin' at that there whirly bird" you may formulate your own British reply ;)
Bloody hell!!!:lol:

FBJ the unified command that you are talking about is called Multinational Force - Iraq and is curretnly led by:

General George W. Casey, Jr. US
Commanding General

Lieutenant General G. C. M. Lamb England
Deputy Commanding General

Command Sergeant Major Jeffrey J. Mellinger US
Command Sergeant Major

Users who are viewing this thread

Back