Skyraider AD-4 Torpedo Mount

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flylo

Airman
Feb 12, 2017
Greetings,
Does anyone know of any pictures depicting the MK13 torpedo mount/release mechanism?
I can't discern anything in every picture I've seen other than 2 straps. Anything showing or even explaining the strap attach points would be appreciated. I'm thinking they attach to a 4 point system that attaches to the centerline mount?
Thanks!

Hey Flylo,

I do not have a copy, but there is a PDF format downloadable Skyraider Pilot's Handbook on the internet. I remember seeing drawings and a written description of the torpedo setup in the manual.

Thanks! I think I've seen that but wasn't sure it would have that information. I might as well bite the bullet. I've already invested way more time and money on this build than I planned. Which is par for the course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey F Flylo ,

I have a PDF of the October 1949 version of the AD-2/-3/-2Q/-3Q Pilot's Handbook, but there is no description or diagram of torpedo carriage in it - so do not get that one.

Also, there were apparently 2 different methods of carrying heavy ordnance on the centerline. The later used a short pylon& rack. The early type used a rack with the main body of the rack inside the fuselage as shown in the drawing here:

"Douglas AD (A-1) Skyraider Pylons"

Last edited:
Hey F Flylo ,

I have a PDF of the October 1949 version of the AD-2/-3/-2Q/-3Q Pilot's Handbook, but there is no description or diagram of torpedo carriage in it - so do not get that one.

Also, there were apparently 2 different methods of carrying heavy ordnance on the centerline. The later used a short pylon& rack. The early type used a rack with the main body of the rack inside the fuselage as shown in the drawing here:

"Douglas AD (A-1) Skyraider Pylons"
Thanks for that. I did download the AD-4 POH PDF and no mention of it there either.
Crazy how there's so much information on a WWII German fighter compared to a a plane that flew from the end of WWII to after Vietnam.

I looked in the A-1 Warbird Tech book and while they have pictures of Skyraiders carrying torps you really can't see anything about the mount. However the pylons were capable of carrying torps as well.

I looked in the A-1 Warbird Tech book and while they have pictures of Skyraiders carrying torps you really can't see anything about the mount. However the pylons were capable of carrying torps as well.
True but I'm trying to build a Hwachon Dam AD-4 with the MK13. Yet another surprising thing is that no one makes any VA-195 decals. One of the most notable missions flown in Korea besides Toki Ri and not one decal set to commemorate them? Hobbyboss makes a die-cast version but nothing in the styrene world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back