Slowest Combat aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats a single engined combat plane. The Stranraer is twin engined and combat aircraft as used for anti-submarine patrols although it never found or sunk any.

Unbelievable to think this was designed by RJ Mitchell of Spitfire fame.

Supermarine_Stranraer_2_ExCC.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a single engined combat plane. The Stranraer is twin engined and combat aircraft as used for anti-submarine patrols although it never found or sunk any.

Unbelievable to think this was designed by RJ Mitchell of Spitfire fame.

View attachment 129853

Thats one of my favourite aircraft. I dont think biplane seaplanes were ever going to look particulary elegant but the best compliment you can give the Stranraer is homely .

However if you want an R.J.Mitchell plane that was given a good whack with the ugly stick how about the type 224

g_type224gullwing.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing that should have been specified, is whether you were asking about the combat aircraft with the slowest maximum speed, or the combat aircraft capable of the slowest minimum speed. These are radically different questions. Something tells me you probably were not expecting an airship to be the obvious (and only) choice.

If we exclude the Fi-157 and concentrate on the slowest speed capable, then the Fi-167A certainly is a reasonable candidate for a winner. It´s landing speed is certified with 60 km/h (37 mp/h) at reduced gross weight of 3.500kg. It was the fully military torpedo patrol bomber envisioned for GRAF ZEPPELIN (it could haul a 800kg torpedo and even up to 1000kg of bombs) with a max. gross weight of 4.820kg. Twelve preserial Fi-167A were build and later used in combat by the croatian airforces.

There is anecdotical evidence that Fieseler himselve descended Fi-167 V1 from 10.000ft. to 300 ft. while moving a horizontal distance of less than 100ft. It was certainly capable of extremely slow speed.

Fi-167A certainly is a reasonable candidate for a winner. It´s landing speed is certified with 60 km/h (37 mp/h) at reduced gross weight of 3.500kg.
How long was the aft aircraft space on a Tone class cruiser? You might be able to operate the Fi-167 from such a ship. Launch would be by catapult so you only need enough deck for landing. To make it safer you could even invent the angled flight deck so the Fi-167 doesn't smack into the cruiser bridge if it misses the arrestor cables.

Thats one of my favourite aircraft. I dont think biplane seaplanes were ever going to look particulary elegant but the best compliment you can give the Stranraer is homely .

I don't think the nickname of it in military service was very homely, "The whistling sh!thouse" due to very draughty toilet. :lol:
I actually like the aircraft myself too and would probably get the Matchbox kit at some time.

Last edited:
How long was the aft aircraft space on a Tone class cruiser? You might be able to operate the Fi-167 from such a ship. Launch would be by catapult so you only need enough deck for landing. To make it safer you could even invent the angled flight deck so the Fi-167 doesn't smack into the cruiser bridge if it misses the arrestor cables.

It´s around 210 ft. for TONE.
I think you will probably find this video interesting. The KM tried to get experiences with some unconventional ad-hoc trials plating the stern of a small ship with a flight deck and operating a Fi-156 on it (take off landing). Fi-156 and Fi-167 have an almost identic slow stall speed (50 Km/h and 60 Km/h). But the conversion was only 6 kts fast instead of 30.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypt3BuzR4IM

Ignore the title of the video. It´s not intended to be a carrier. These trials were carried out in order to establish requirements for carrier airplanes.
Operating the Fi-167 from a cruiser should therefore be entirely possible.

Last edited:
The Stinson L-1 would be close to the Storch category. One time at Stinson airfield in San Antonio about 10-15 years ago there were two restored examples present and they did a "slow" race to see which aircraft could safely cross the line last.

Ryan

those planes are still there Ryan. I was at that airfield about 2 years ago to see the Fw-190 and the V1. I have a thread on my visit here somewhere with a couple pics.

Edit....

Ah. Here it is
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/texas-air-museum-stinson-field-12401.html

How about the Aichi E11A, code name "Laura" for seaplanes? Max speed was just 135 MPH.

General characteristics

* Crew: Three
* Length: 10.71 m (35 ft 1¾ in)
* Wingspan: 14.49 m (47 ft 6½ in)
* Max takeoff weight: 3,297 kg (7,033 lb)
* Powerplant: 1× Hiro Type 91 Mk.22 water-cooled, V-12 piston engine, 455 kW (620 hp)

Performance

* Maximum speed: 217 km/h (117 kn, 135 mph)
* Range: 2,063 km (1,284 m)
* Service ceiling: 4,425 m (14,520 ft)

Armament

* 1 × 7.7 mm (.303 in) Type 92 machine gun

Blackburn Ripon. Used as a land and seaplane during Winter and Continuation War by Finnish Air Force. As new in 1928 their top speed was 210 km/h (130 MPH) as landplane with load and around 160 km/h (100 MPH) as seaplane with bomb load.

Shavrov Sh-2. Soviet Air Force used the type to supply it's partisan troops at least on one occasion. "Maximum speed: 140 km/h (76 knots, 87 mph)".

Wikipedia - Blackburn Ripon
Wikipedia - Shavrov Sh-2

Last edited:
That Shavrov is one neat amphibian, reminds me at Lohner of WWI fame (one wing less though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back