Snowy flight deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
Found this photo of what's said to be CV-4 "Ranger" Air Group 4, on a snowy flight deck. I generally associate US aircraft carriers with Pacific ops, so seeing a picture with winter weather was a nice surprise. Avengers, Dauntlesses, and Wildcats here.

wwii0180.jpg

In September 1943 the aircraft carrier was sent to the Great Britain where she became the part of the Home Fleet. In October CV-4 "Ranger" participated in "Leader" operation. The pic seems to be taken just at the period of her service at the North Atlantic.

Ranger spent most of her war in the Atlantic, including a spell with the Home Fleet off Norway in late 1943 as noted above. But the markings (some aircraft are carrying national insignia on the top surface of the starboard wing while some are not) would indicate the early part of 1943 rather than the later part. The markings changed Feb 1943. And no bars to the insignia suggests pre June.

From Feb-Aug 1943 she was training pilots off the US coast but sailed as far north as Halifax, Nova Scotia, which could account for the snow.

I always wondered how did they cope with the icing... The danger for the ship's stability and for the aircraft.

Same way you clear your driveway. With shovels, picks, axes and anything else to hand to move snow and break up the ice.

HMS Fencer's flight deck in 1944.

Seems not much has changed. HMS Illustrious 2012.

And the USN way 2007

Sometimes with a little mechanical help. USS Wasp 1942

Some spectacular photos of ice build ups on WW2 warships here.

I believe that sometimes steam hoses would be rigged to melt it off.

Same way you clear your driveway. With shovels, picks, axes and anything else to hand to move snow and break up the ice.
Right, right. I did that many times, mostly in North Pacific.
Hard work and in certain weather conditions it's a race for survival when ice grows faster than you can clear it out. Any extra object on the deck is an "ice magnet". More ice, higher your centre of gravity. You try to escape to the higher temperature zone but the ocean disagrees and gives you a head-on wind, slowing you down and spraying your deck, which means even faster icing... I still see it in bad night dreams.
Of course, they have a lot of hands on the aircraft carrier compared to the merchant/fishing ship.

From the Internet:
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back