Solomon Island Wrecks - you tube

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fascinating clip Evan, some real gems there. I guess its hard to comment on what should happen to these wrecks; they are on sovereign territory and those ones in particular are Japanese types - little justification for Westerners staking any sort of claim on them. Yes, it would be great to recover that Betty, but it'd be a hugely expensive undertaking, not least in diplomatic smooching to enable the aircraft to leave the Solomons.

Fascinating clip Evan, some real gems there. I guess its hard to comment on what should happen to these wrecks; they are on sovereign territory and those ones in particular are Japanese types - little justification for Westerners staking any sort of claim on them. Yes, it would be great to recover that Betty, but it'd be a hugely expensive undertaking, not least in diplomatic smooching to enable the aircraft to leave the Solomons.

No Price should be "too much" to bring history back to life :( unfortunatley only the forum guys think its worth doing, and were the ones without the money to spend :D but you can bet if I had the cash flow I'd love to see a stable of old WW2s in my hanger (fake imaginary hanger, one day...one day)

Cheers for the comments guys!

Personally I would like to see them preserved or protected where they are, something exciting/ appealing about a war wreck in situ! Like a lost treasure... Just cover them with protective roof structure.
True I will most likely never see them personally, but neither will I see a reconstruction based on their components buzzing round a US airshow circuit. (that's almost sacrilege IMO)

The Islanders main complaint is loss of tourism to the areas (classic example: The B-17E now known as 'Swamp Ghost'), and I think they have a right. They were invaded, the wrecks considered junk and forgotten about till the airworthy examples were all scrapped elsewhere, and suddenly when they start making money from traveller's visiting the sites, along come the foreigner's to cart off the bits, whether legally or illegally.
These are after all a huge part of their cultural history, and if we didn't want them at war's end, I don't think we have a right (without the villager's consent) to start trying to grab them now.

Last edited:
Cheers for the comments guys!

Personally I would like to see them preserved or protected where they are, something exciting/ appealing about a war wreck in situ! Like a lost treasure... Just cover them with protective roof structure.
True I will most likely never see them personally, but neither will I see a reconstruction based on their components buzzing round a US airshow circuit. (that's almost sacrilege IMO)

The Islanders main complaint is loss of tourism to the areas (classic example: The B-17E now known as 'Swamp Ghost'), and I think they have a right. They were invaded, the wrecks considered junk and forgotten about till the airworthy examples were all scrapped elsewhere, and suddenly when they start making money from traveller's visiting the sites, along come the foreigner's to cart off the bits, whether legally or illegally.
These are after all a huge part of their cultural history, and if we didn't want them at war's end, I don't think we have a right (without the villager's consent) to start trying to grab them now.

Some of those foreigners pay big money, unfortunatley sometimes its goverments or the funds are eaten up faster than they could be handed out, or there used for other purposes in the village where they don't see a impact, most people don't get anything, I agree, but I don't like the ones that pass off stuff as getting nothing, when they indeed got something, and just liked it more when tourism was in the island than when they agreed to sell the stuff off for fast cash (not that its happening here, but just my opinion on matters such as these) Money vanishes quickly and the common man doesn't usually see a cent of it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back