Special Hobby 1:72 scale Heinkel He 100

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There it looks like the whole flap folds down from the wing. rather than just fold down from the bottom of the wing ?? If in fact it only folds down from the bottom of the wing do you think they would have made it fabric covered ??

According to book about the plane the flaps weren't of the crocodile type but were slotted flaps. The pic below isn't of gretest quality but the flaps set for taking off can be noticed.

Also if the flaps were of the crocodile type there wouldn't be these gaps at the top wings and the skin there would be of metal.

And it would be possible to step on them rather. The shot below and a couple of others I saw show that they didn't step at the area.

Well it looks like I've done it wrong if I'm looking at the pictures. I'm not sure what you mean by crocodile style ? Does that mean the inner flaps fold down separately from the outer ones ? farting around with MS paint. Which one is accurate ? A B or C ? I'm confused now, going to watch hockey game which is sure to turn my confusion to depression ! Go Canucks go don't blow 9 in a row !

Last edited:
I pick B. What Wojtek calls a crocodile flap is, I think, the split flap in the diagram below. Spitfires and Hurricanes had split flaps.View attachment 519240

I agree based on the kit it would seem to be a split flap as I have modeled it. Then again from the picture which isn't very clear it would appear there are two separate flaps on each wing ? The inner being split, the outer being plain.

Generally it is the B variant on your diagram . The He-100 had two-section flap like the F4F Corsair. But it doesn't mean the entire flap or one part only was of the split type. Just two sections of this because of the wing shape.

The split flap is also called the corocodile flap because it looks like the crocodile jaws from side view. The bottom part of the jaws is movable down at the bottom hinge while the upper part is fixed. The slotted flap , when lowered down, makes a slot at the top of wing between the leading adge of the flap and rear part of the wing.

Although the pic of taking off 'White 2" is blurry, the slot can be noticed though.

And finally I have found a better pic with the flap seen from plan view. Please notice that the flap has the rounded "nose" of the leading edge and the slot between the flap and wing. So it is quite clearly seen that the flap was different from that one you tried to replicate.

Here a quite close up shot with the two-section flap seen in..

the pic source: the Internet.

Sometimes it is quite difficult to state if you don't see it lowered down.

Here a plain or slotted one?

Yep. here the same. Anyway no matter if it was the plain or slotted. For sure it wasn't the split one.

Thanks all for the help. I think that I have done them wrong...sort of. The inner flap appears to be a combo of a plain flap and a split flap. Being split where it goes under the fuselage' The outer flap is a plain flap so It shouldn't be too hard to correct. And yes, it was nice to see the Canucks pull the rag out of their butts and beat the worst team in the NHL !

Humm ... IHMO the inner flap was also of the plain or slotted type. Just it went under the plate of the fuselage-wing transition fairing. Here two enlarged shots I could find via the net. Perhaps the flap could have been a little bit thinner. It seems that the edge of the fairing there was folded and there can be noticed the line of rivets. By making the folded edge they protected the flap skin against tearing up. As memo serves in the same way it was done for the P-51 flap

Users who are viewing this thread