Spitfire Drawings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ryanjames17

Airman
Jul 26, 2018
I was wondering if anyone knew who would have good technical drawings of the Spitfire MK1-V that would give good details on parts such and wing ribs and spar and well as the inner structure of the fuselage.

i know you guys might think im crazy but i am thinking on building a 1-1 of the spitfire or a close to 1-1. i am thinking on starting on a "scail" model first and then just going larger.

I was wondering if anyone knew who would have good technical drawings of the Spitfire MK1-V that would give good details on parts such and wing ribs and spar and well as the inner structure of the fuselage.

i know you guys might think im crazy but i am thinking on building a 1-1 of the spitfire or a close to 1-1. i am thinking on starting on a "scail" model first and then just going larger.
I'm also building a mk v and noodled around and got a full set which took awhile, found them in different places. Get the parts catalog so you can map drawing #s to parts, you can get that from the raf museum. Also recommend getting a copy of the book; spitfire engineered by Paul Monforton, did all the engineering analysis of every inch of the plane
You need to get the mkI stuff 1st as the V is additive.

I would suggest you suscribe to the AirCorps Library, which is a repository of actual aircraft drawings by their respective manufacturers. The spitfire is well represented in its own section with a easy to use search function. Be aware that the drawings are extensive, and requires some patience to sort through. AirCorps Library is a subscription service, which is constantly updating its resources. For $5.00US a month, you have access to a wealth of technical resources. Find them at Classic Aircraft Blueprints, Drawings & Manuals | AirCorps Library and browse around. Most spitfire models are covered, but may not be arranged in any particular order. For instance, if you search for "wing", you will see all drawings available for all spitfire wing configurations in the search results. That's where the patience comes in, but the search feature will find a very specific item, if it exists as a drawing. You also mention that you may try a scale model first. I build and fly r/c model aircraft, and I would suggest getting and building a spitfire kit, say 1/8 scale. That would be around a 60 -65" wingspan. The kits are designed pretty close to the real thing, and will give you a very good idea of how the whole airframe goes together.

I'm also building a mk v and noodled around and got a full set which took awhile, found them in different places. Get the parts catalog so you can map drawing #s to parts, you can get that from the raf museum. Also recommend getting a copy of the book; spitfire engineered by Paul Monforton, did all the engineering analysis of every inch of the plane
You need to get the mkI stuff 1st as the V is additive.
Hi. Would you mind telling us where you found them please. So that we may acquire them too. Cheers

The RAF museum at Hendon have over 13000 Spitfire drawings. If you email the research department and ask for the list they will email it to you.
The Aircorps library is a good place to start & get your head around the drawings. Though you can't print them off.

You can print individual drawings from the Aircorps Library. Open up a drawing and near the top tic on the print icon in the yellow bar. A red box appears and you center the image to print. It may require particular page sizes if you wish to print 1:1 scale. I usually print particular areas of a drawing on 8.5" x 11" paper and they come out fine.
Screenshot (19a).jpg

You can print individual drawings from the Aircorps Library. Open up a drawing and near the top tic on the print icon in the yellow bar. A red box appears and you center the image to print. It may require particular page sizes if you wish to print 1:1 scale. I usually print particular areas of a drawing on 8.5" x 11" paper and they come out fine.View attachment 519627
Hi. Thanks. I missed that. Will have another look

You will need a basic understanding of how to read blueprints and you must remember that the British and Americans use different datum points (British and Europeans use first angle and Americans and Asians use third angle) for their drawings so first you need to read a reference like

7 Difference Between First Angle And Third Angle Projection - Viva Differences to get a handle on the differences.

Then you need to study the drawing practices of the day - as far as I know no-one has found a copy of the Supermarine drawing office manual so you will need to make some educated guesses - especially because Supermarine were different to everyone else, as were Boeing and a number of other firms. NAA, Curtiss and Bell were similar to each other. DH were very different from Supermarine but are still Brit so some concepts are similar.

You will need a basic understanding of how to read blueprints and you must remember that the British and Americans use different datum points (British and Europeans use first angle and Americans and Asians use third angle) for their drawings so first you need to read a reference like

7 Difference Between First Angle And Third Angle Projection - Viva Differences to get a handle on the differences.

Then you need to study the drawing practices of the day - as far as I know no-one has found a copy of the Supermarine drawing office manual so you will need to make some educated guesses - especially because Supermarine were different to everyone else, as were Boeing and a number of other firms. NAA, Curtiss and Bell were similar to each other. DH were very different from Supermarine but are still Brit so some concepts are similar.

I may be able to help with understanding the Supermarine drawings having spent years turning them into CAD drawings & researching the annotation & specs

Thank you on behalf of all for that offer.

I no longer have anything to do with Spitfires, fortunately for me, so I personally will not need any assistance but I am sure you will be inundated with queries in the near and distant future from others. The one thing I would love to see though is any of the Supermarine Drawing Office and Engineering Office manuals, not for future reference but to confirm or reject the assumptions I have made, based on other manufacturers documents of the period. Some other manufacturers documents are on this site and I hope I will be adding a couple of Australian ones in the near future which are based on, or direct copies of, Bristol manuals. I have scanned and cleaned these for another person and he is yet to make a decision.

The great thing about this forum is the large number of qualified people who freely give of their help in order to keep history and technology alive. I have learned much from many and provide what assistance I can whenever I can as a thank you to those who have helped me.

The modern practice of paying forward is well practiced here.

Thank you on behalf of all for that offer.

I no longer have anything to do with Spitfires, fortunately for me, so I personally will not need any assistance but I am sure you will be inundated with queries in the near and distant future from others. The one thing I would love to see though is any of the Supermarine Drawing Office and Engineering Office manuals, not for future reference but to confirm or reject the assumptions I have made, based on other manufacturers documents of the period. Some other manufacturers documents are on this site and I hope I will be adding a couple of Australian ones in the near future which are based on, or direct copies of, Bristol manuals. I have scanned and cleaned these for another person and he is yet to make a decision.

The great thing about this forum is the large number of qualified people who freely give of their help in order to keep history and technology alive. I have learned much from many and provide what assistance I can whenever I can as a thank you to those who have helped me.

The modern practice of paying forward is well practiced here.
Hi, I have a copy of the Vickers Supermarine Process Specifications & Data Sheets if that would be of use. I've never heard of a drawing office manual, everything one would need is either on the drawings or in the VS Spec manual. Thanks

Thank you very much for that. Having had a quick look It appears to be the DH version of the VS Process Specifications & Data Sheets, contains the same type of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back