Spitfire flew again 10 years after it was found in South African junkyard (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
A newly-restored classic World War II Spitfire has taken to the British skies for the first time since being found in a scrapyard a decade ago.
The iconic Second World War fighter plane has been restored by a businessman who spent £1m building it back up to its former glory after it was rescued from a South African scrapyard.

more: Rebuilt Spitfire flies from Filton aerodrome as BAE closes home of Concorde | Mail Online

A fitting end to an historic site; yet another British airfield succumbs to the tide of housing development.

A fitting end to an historic site; yet another British airfield succumbs to the tide of housing development.

And defence cuts. My brother in law worked all his life for BAE Systems and recently took early retirement. A better deal than inevitable redundancy.
He seems to enjoy it,he's just got back from your part of the world,visiting a half brother :)
Steve

window-2.jpg

window0001-2.jpg

window0002-2.jpg

The former home of this great designer at Portswood, Southampton, Hampshire.

I believe there is also one on the house in which he was born at 115 Congleton Road, Butt Lane, Kidsgrove, Staffs.
Steve

I believe there is also one on the house in which he was born at 115 Congleton Road, Butt Lane, Kidsgrove, Staffs.
Steve
Many thanks for that information Steve, didn't know about that one. As and when I can get the time.....

Many thanks for that information Steve, didn't know about that one. As and when I can get the time.....

I hope you get there! There are a lot of plaques to people who are,politely,barely deserving. Mitchell is most certainly not one of those :)
Cheers
Steve

Hello all - new to this forum.
Interestingly I was working in South Africa in 1981 when I came across a scrapyard with a spitfire mounted on a structure within the scrapyard compound. I took theattached photo which some of you may find of interest. It must be the same aircraft that has now been restored and flying in the UK ?

Regards to all -
SA Scrapyard Spitfire 1981.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back