Spitfire Mark 22/24

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sweb

Senior Airman
Feb 5, 2009
Florida
1/32 by Revell. I just got delivery of this kit and was studying the parts. I noticed that the sprue (parts trees) have tabs the say "Made in (etched out of mold)". It's obvious the country of manufacture has been obliterated from the mold on every parts tree.

The original kit was made by the British company, 'Matchbox', in the mid 1970's. Revell have, over the last two or three years, re-released many kits from this once prodigious manufacturer. Although noted for their heavy, almost trench-like panel lines on their 1/72nd scale range of kits, it must be remembered that the majority were issued almost forty years ago. They were among the first, if not THE first, to introduce engraved (recessed) panel-lines, instead of the then common raised variety.
The range of 1/32nd scale kits, now from Revell, holds up very well, even today, against the more 'high tech' offerings of other companies, although some of the parts are a little on the 'chunky' side! However, with minimal extra work, some very nice models can be produced, and the Spit22/24 in particular is a good example. I'm going to use one in conjunction with another kit, possibly Hasegawa's Spit MkVB, to produce a Spit MkXIV.

I know, I've built both a few times, including the conversion to the MkXIV. Pity it 'spun in' off the top of a shelf many years ago!
The 'remains' of the Mk22 will be used for something rather different - I only want it for some major 'donor' parts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back