Spitfire Mk III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hurricane MkIIs first started to be seen in service in Sept 1940 according to this, that was when the BoB was at its height and no one knew how long it would last. Hawker Hurricane Mk II

Wouldn't it have been better to use the 2 speed Merlin X?
Works for me, but Bomber Boys might object, since Mk.X was in low production and required by them.
OTOH, Mk.XII on 100 oct fuel is very close to Mk.X as far as required for fighters.

Last edited:
He is trying to get the aerodynamic improvements into production sooner.

Start building Spit IIIs with Merlin XIIs and switch to better engine as soon as possible rather than continuing to shove better engines into the Spit I/II airframe.

Taking the bomber boys out behind the garden shed and breaking a number of cricket bats over their heads would have improved the RAF considerably in first 2-3 years of the war though.

What was the inclined firewall for on the Mk III? I know that two-stage Griffon Spitfires and Spitefuls/Seafangs had them, and those planes had an oil tank between the front fuel tanks and the firewall. Was that a feature intended to be on the Mk III?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back