Spitfire wheel barn find. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

snailster

Recruit
Mar 26, 2014
Hi all.I'm new to the forum and I am hoping someone may be able to help me with identifying a possible Spitfire wheel I have recently purchased.I purchased it off a local farmer who has had it in his barn for many years and was told it was possibly off a Spitfire.There are various markings on it which are as follows.Serial Number LY 188137/1 , R , 7 053 , N O (with the number 35 inside the O) , DRG No AH8208< , Issue No 12-14-15 16 .The tyre is a Goodyear All Weather 32 x 10.00 - 15.It also has 4 spokes.I do have a photograph of it but it cannot work out how to add it ti this post.Any help anyone can give me in identifying this wheel will be greatly appreciated and if possible what could be its value ?.The tyre is not in the best condition but appears to be inflated and the ring around the outside of the hub is cracked.I plan on adding a toughened glass top to and using it as a coffee table.
Apologies for the rather long post and I hope I have put it into the correct section.I have been modeling for almost 50 yrs after catching the bug from my late father who was a tail gunner in Lancasters during the war.Next project is a B-25 Mitchell followed buy something a little different a scratch built Saturn 5 rocket that should reach 400 metres altitude !.
I hope I may at sometime add to what is a great forum.

AH 8208 would be a wheel from either a Hornet, Tempest, Barracuda or Firebrand and maybe a couple more. It's not from a Spitfire.

AH 2061 then later AH 10019 (from August 1944) were fitted to Spitfires.

Your wheel will look like this.

P1000502_zpsfee71bd4.gif

If every 'Spitfire' wheel really was one we'd have had to have made a lot more of them :)

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks stona for the information.It is very much appreciated.I had my doubts that it was off a Spitfire but still an interesting item for my collection.Also thank you vikingBerserker for the welcome :).
SPITFIRE 1 009.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back