Spitfire XIV camo colours

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Angels one-five

Airman 1st Class
Jun 29, 2009
Salisbury, UK
I'm just beginning an Academy 1/48 Spitfire XIVe and intend finishing it as a SEAC aircraft, serial number RN218 (MS-F) of 273 Sqn. The instruction sheet suggests ocean grey and dark green (standard day fighter camo) however, I have found another reference on The Spitfire Site which suggests dark earth and dark green... I know both were used in SE Asia; anyone know which option would be correct for this particular airframe? I have found a B&W image of the actual aircraft, but that's not much help...!

This can be a tricky area with the MkXIV in SEAC, as both schemes were used. It is possibly dependant on where the aircraft actually originated, as some were shipped direct from European squadron service, still in their Temperate scheme, whilst others were factory finished, or repainted with Dark Earth in Theatre. As most arrived near the end of hostilities, it's likely that the ones in Green/Grey were not re-painted, as there would not be such a need to alter the camouflage to suit the area of operations.
For many years, various profiles of 'Ginger' Lacey's MkXIV have shown both schemes! The Osprey book 'Late Marque Spitfire Aces' states that their profile of his machine, shown in Ocean Grey/Dark Green is correct, based on 'new photographic evidence' at the time the book was produced, about ten years ago.The B&W pics published in the book are inconclusive in my opinion.
However, in the early 1980's, I had the priviledge of meeting and talking with 'Ginger' on a few occassions, and made a point of asking him about this MkXIV. He told me it was Green and Brown! In fact, I very nearly used this scheme on the 1/32nd scale MkXIV I'm currently working on, but as it's built as an early 'C' version, I went for a UK based kite.
If you can post the pic you mentioned, I'll see if I can determine the probable colours from the tonal ranges of the print; meanwhile, I'll do a bit of digging to see if anything emerges.
Terry.

Thanks Terry.

The link to the pic is here - it's an extract from the Osprey Spitfire Griffon aces. The original article that made me question the grey/ green vice earth/ green is here. On RAF web, the scheme is definitely depicted as earth/ green. To be honest, I am erring toward the earth/ green option as it will make a nice contrast to the grey/green options that will almost certainly adorn the hi-back Mk XIV and Mk XVIII when I get around to them. However if earth is definitely wrong, then I may have to rethink!

Hi mate, I'm happy to tell you that this Spit was definitely in Dark Earth/Dark Green camouflage! I found the same pic you've linked to,(attached) in a much older, differenent book and, although it definitely looked to be in the Green/Brown, I nevertheless 'read' the half-tone dots, to establish the likely tone/colour range against a grey scale. Green/Brown it is!
The article on the model, and the RAF.0rg chart also show the correct colours.
Spitfire RN218 was a FRXIV, built at Aldermaston, and, via 2 MU's, was shipped directly to India, arriving on 30th August 1945, after hostilities had ceased. She would have been painted in the SEAC colours at the factory. The aircraft was on charge with ACSEA from September 1945 and, although I don't have an exact date as to when she joined the strength of 273 Squadron, we can assume it was November 1945, as this is when the Squadron re-equiped with the MkXIV, until disbandment in January 1946. The aircraft was Struck of Charge in March 1947.
Note that RN218 is a FRXIV, and not a MkXIVE, so should have the camera port and hatch on the side, behind the cockpit.
I hope this helps mate.
Terry.

Attachments

• Can Jan 073.jpg
    Can Jan 073.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 154
Hi mate, I'm happy to tell you that this Spit was definitely in Dark Earth/Dark Green camouflage! I found the same pic you've linked to,(attached) in a much older, differenent book and, although it definitely looked to be in the Green/Brown, I nevertheless 'read' the half-tone dots, to establish the likely tone/colour range against a grey scale. Green/Brown it is!
The article on the model, and the RAF.0rg chart also show the correct colours.
Spitfire RN218 was a FRXIV, built at Aldermaston, and, via 2 MU's, was shipped directly to India, arriving on 30th August 1945, after hostilities had ceased. She would have been painted in the SEAC colours at the factory. The aircraft was on charge with ACSEA from September 1945 and, although I don't have an exact date as to when she joined the strength of 273 Squadron, we can assume it was November 1945, as this is when the Squadron re-equiped with the MkXIV, until disbandment in January 1946. The aircraft was Struck of Charge in March 1947.
Note that RN218 is a FRXIV, and not a MkXIVE, so should have the camera port and hatch on the side, behind the cockpit.
I hope this helps mate.
Terry.

Terry, that's brilliant mate. Thanks a lot. I'll be posting pics of the build as it progresses.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back