Spitfires in the Luftwaffe?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
There was a captured Spitfire with a DB-605...not sure of the date or what happened to it though.

Hey I remember that picture that i saw once in a long time. As I remember there was a captured Spitfire by the Luftwaffe. the interesteed thing about this plane is that the some germans pilots was curious about what kind of performance this plane would do whit an Daimler Benz-engine, and so they mounted a DB-engine for fun. What they then found out is that the Spitfire got a increased performance. They found the difference especially in high altitude and turning in negative g-force than compare whit the old Rolls Royce Merline-engine. Maybe is because the RRM-engine got a carburetor and the DB-engine have a more advance fuelinjection that does the difference in performance. I whounder what it would be whit the history of the spitfire if the Britt somehove got a licensed to build the DB-engine and mounted on all the spit. instead of the RRM-engine

Didn't the Russians actually use some captured 109s against the germans as well?

I actually made a scale model of a 109G10 captured by the brits in the med, mainly because I broke the german transfers and had some british ones going spare! Copied more or less the one on this page, though I haven't found the right letters yet.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/me109/foreign/109-UK.htm

Any chance of see the performance figures of the DB Hurricane?

I also heard that there was a merlined 109 any info?

Daimler-Benz Spitfire EN830

Side view of the captured Spitfire V under evaluation with the DB 601 engine

Quarter-rear view of the Daimler-Benz powered Spitfire serial EN830

Source: http://www.unrealaircraft.com

Gnomey said:
Well I suspect it is inaccurate as no RAF Spitfire Squadrons were sent to France for the Battle of France (1940) as they where kept for the defence of Britain.

But some were there in 1939.

The Photographic Development Unit (PDU) was formed in September 1939 and was based at RAF Hendon under the command of Sqn Ldr (acting Wing Commander) Sidney Cotton.
The unit was initially equipped with modified Bristol Blenheim aircraft, although they lacked the performance to carry out the demanding sorties required by the reconnaissance role. The PDU was lent two Spitfires in November 1939 and quickly modified them for reconnaissance use, by stripping out armour and armament, and fitting extra fuel tanks. The Spitfires were pressed into immediate service and German installations were imaged from 30,000ft.
These sorties led to detachments being sent to France, under the cover name of Special Survey Flights. The Flights carried out valuable work in the period leading up to the German Blitzkreig attack on France and the Low Countries.

I found a colour shot of a Luftwaffe Spitfire,

Also a P-38 if its of any interest,

The first mission for the PR Spitfires was on 18 November, 1939. Taking off from a base at Séclin, France, the sortie photographed Aachen from 33,000 feet. It was performed by Spitfire PR.MK. IA serial #N3071.

While on the subject, I saw an article in a modelling mag recently, which showed what the aircraft would have looked like if it had survived long enough to be transfered to Israel.

More details in the New Year.

Merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread