Spitfires in the Luftwaffe? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have not seen any comment on Mickiewicz being involved in the Great Escape but then they tend to mention the ones that were shot. Try contacting this museum,

Serwis Muzeum

they may be able to tell you if he was one of them.
Mickiewicz was shot down on 29th August 1941 in a major battle (Circus 88 ) with the Luftwaffe. S/Ldr Jerzy Słoński-Ostoja (306 Squadron) was killed and Mickiewicz became a PoW. He was flying Spitfire Mk IIa P7606 PK*O, a very old machine delivered to Northolt after repair to damage received in an RAF unit. This explains the de Havilland propeller as all Mk IIa were fitted with Rotol propellers at the factory. First photograph shows P7606 before it was given its unit codes. The second in a German scrap yard in France

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 344
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 373
as for spits didnt luftwaffe aces test fly spits before the Battle of Britain. werner molders tested one.
and others too. some were shot down in france.crash landed. and in vichy held france' when france fell.well one or others.it was also used in a well a film involving a spitfire and me 109 dogfighting but sqn' codes were wrong.on the spit ON THE SIDE WAS X code. susposed to be in BOB. ACTIONS.
the spit was shot down well a fire was seen from a heinkel bomber.
a propaganda film.for german news Reels.
I have a photo.of them in color.
TEZ

Just joined - was doing some quick research for my son's project and found this picture posted by Antoni. Bronislaw Mickiewicz was my uncle by marriage and I have all his memorabilia (incl logbook). Don't have any experience on these forums so hope you get the message, thanks for the picture.

Welcome to the forum Paul. If you would like to share those things on here, they would be very well recieved and appreciated!

Just joined - was doing some quick research for my son's project and found this picture posted by Antoni. Bronislaw Mickiewicz was my uncle by marriage and I have all his memorabilia (incl logbook). Don't have any experience on these forums so hope you get the message, thanks for the picture.

You will find a photograph of Mickiewicz as a PoW on the previous page.

There are other photographs of P7606 after it was shot down. Please check your personal messages.

German Spitfires (that I know of):

Spitfire Mk.I Bogus British markings 'G-X' .Airworthy and used in propoganda photographs, with Badly positioned and proportioned roundels
Spitfire Mk.Ia ?-?? RAF camouflage with large Balkenkreuz (crosses) –Airworthy
Spitfire Mk.Ia RAF camo with overpainted codes and badly positioned and proportioned roundels applied, Airworthy and used in the famous 'Spitfire seen up close from an He111' propoganda photos.
Spitfie Mk.Ia '5+?' Bogus British markings, including badly positioned and proportioned roundels and fin-flashes. Airworthy and flown by Bf 109 pilots.
Spitfire Mk.V AZ-N ??277 'Duty Dick', ex 234 sqn. Emergency landed near Cherbourg. Retained RAF camo and serial, but codes lightly overpainted and large Balkenkreuz applied. Spit Mk.I metal prop. Airworthy
Spitfire Mk.V ?-?? EN830 'CJ+ZY' fitted with DB605A engine for comparitive flight testing
Spitfire MK.Vb SD-E AA837, ex 501 sqn. RAF camo, codes , serials, and A1 style roundels. Airworthy
Spitfire Mk.Vb RS-T . Robert Stanford-Tuck's personal aircraft, 29 kills. Brought down by ground fire during low level sweeps over the French beaches. RAF camo, A1 style roundels, wooden Jablo prop. Wrecked but repairable
Spitfire Mk.Vb AZ-B, ex 234 sqn. A1 roundels, Spit Mk.I metal prop. WBR
Spitfire Mk.Vb UZ-A AB364, ex 306 sqn. A1 style roundels.WBR
Spitfire PR.XI 'T9+ZB' large Balkenkreuz applied, Airworthy
Spitfire PR.XI 'T9+EK' large Balkenkreuz applied, Airworthy

Sources:

LuftArchiv.de - Das Archiv der Deutschen Luftwaffe –Beuteflugzeuge (captured aircraft);
Spifire in Action, Squadron signal No.39;
Die grossen Lutfschlacten des Zweiten Welt Kriegs –Kaiser Verlag;
Plus two other books – photocopied info, but didn't record book titles.

From one of them:
"By the beginning of the Battle of Britain the Germans had captured four Spitfires in flying or repairable condition"

... While according to 'Flugzeug Typen Der Welt' (Bechtermünz Verlag):
"The first Spitfires to be operated outside of the United Kingdom were Mk.V's, which were shipped on board the HMS Eagle to Malta on March 7th 1942"

Squadron Signal's 'Spitfire in Action' also mentions "tropicalized Spitfire Vb's sent to Malta...7 squadrons in the Mediterranean by June 1942".

Research on the net will no doubt give more info, I don't have time at the moment to check.

Evan
I don't have any details but the Germans did capture intact one of the first PR Spits during the fall of France. It was at a French airfield so they could see the importance of PR something the French had little experience of and was even more valuble as it had a full set of cameras on board.
The RAF had asked the french to destroy it but they didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back