Stalingrad

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soren
do you mean that Germans carried they summer smock in their rucksack after they had got their winter parka? Not handed them over when they got their winter parka? Entire possible of course, it weighted little and didn't took much space even if soldiers didn't like to carry around things they thought unneccessary.

Adler
IMHO Heer's uniforms early in the war were a bit too neat being a bit too tight and so looking nice in parades but not so practical than looser uniforms of British (or Finns). IIRC they moved towards looser uniforms a la British during the war, because they restricted less movements and as a extra gave possibility to stuff more material inside them during the cold period. On the other hand uniforms of SS, maybe because they were less tied to traditions, were very innovative and very good.

Vanir
sorry a couple projects took all my time, so I cannot give a passable answer, only a couple points.
Heer's fuel situation was bad and because their hope against Russians depended on mobility IMHO Hitler might well be right that the Caucasus oil fields were crucial for Germany. It is different thing that to say that they were reachable to Germany. IIRC during the summer 42 OKH's bureau of future operations stopped its planning because all predictions showed that Germany will lose the war.

Hitler had Jodl in his side. When List? was sack because of AG A's inability to reach its goals, List defended himself skillfully and showed that he had followed Hitler's orders. As a result Hitler suffered a sort of nervous breakdown and Jodl draw conclusion that he must protect Führer from things that might hurt his self-esteem. Ie began to separate Hitler from unkind reality.

OK, back to work.

Juha

Last edited:
Adler
IMHO Heer's uniforms early in the war were a bit too neat being a bit too tight and so looking nice in parades but not so practical than looser uniforms of British (or Finns). IIRC they moved towards looser uniforms a la British during the war, because they restricted less movements and as a extra gave possibility to stuff more material inside them during the cold period. On the other hand uniforms of SS, maybe because they were less tied to traditions, were very innovative and very good.

I agree completely. I believe the Germans new this as well. If you look at the later pattern uniforms they are more "field" practical and better suited for field operations. Everything from the colors to the material the uniforms were made out of is better for combat.

I have some very good examples of original Wehrmacht uniforms of different patterns, where you can see the evolution of the uniforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back