My Family saw this a few weeks back but not all at the same time.
I have already seen this mentioned a few times, so my opinions won't be new in this thread.
The Last Jedi was a fun example of a Space Fantasy, after all, that IS what SF stands for right?
As others have mentioned, don't presume you know what's going on or who or what people are just because you have seen every movie and read everything that was ever published about Star Wars. We are now playing by a new set of rules.
Leave your brain at home or turn it off as you would a cell phone at least for the duration of the movie.
If you think and analyze a bit, you are not going to be happy.
Watch this movie as you would a fireworks display.
There are lot of cool things sparking and exploding and they look pretty.
Just like a fireworks display, don't try to read a deeper meaning.
You will probably be disappointed if you do. Remember: Fireworks don't have to make sense.
Just enjoy the show while it lasts.
- Ivan.
P.S. I recently watched the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. It seems like he has replaced the Warp Engines on starships with HyperDrives and everything ANYWHERE can be reached in a matter of a few hours. ...But at least there are a lot of cool colours and eye candy there too!
Hello Gentlemen,
I actually wrote this about a month ago in another forum but I believe it is still a pretty good summary of my thoughts on "The Last Jedi".
We have all grown attached to the old characters in Star Wars and it is kind of hard to see them "messed up" in the name of political correctness. As with many things, we don't own them though. Disney does and doesn't seem to mind using them up.
<SPOILER ALERT>
I thought the Episodes 7 & 8 were entertaining but don't fit well as a part of a bigger universe They like the more recent Star Trek movies and Discovery series are pretty light on the Science part of science fiction.
They don't even fit well within their own "Physics".
Why didn't the First Order fleet just jump a few ships through Hyperspace and cut off the Resistance fleet? The audience of this genre tends to be pretty science and tactics oriented and notice these things.
How the heck do you "Drop" bombs in space?
(Both of these questions were brought up in other forums and not by me.)
The vast distances in space are apparently of no concern if it does not support a story line.
As for race and homosexuality, I believe we are a little too hung up on ourselves and what we have on this planet.
This is supposed to be a "Space Fantasy".
What race was Snoke?
I personally never cared to find out what race was for the actor that played Poe.
expanding this a bit to Star Trek....
What race is an Orion slave girl?
How about Klingons, Vulcans, Tellarites, Gorn, Tholians, Cardassians or Ferengi?
Why does it matter? I thought we were supposed to be well above this kind of quota system.
The scenes ARE pretty though.
I guess this is a whole lot like dating a beautiful woman who doesn't have a brain in her head.
- Ivan.