Star Wars the last jedi

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Star Wars is fantasy and the universe and the force belong to Disney so if Disney say the force is unicorns and star beams then that's what it is. My main concern is Last Jedi was at best a mediocre film and the character of Luke Skywalker was totally out of synch. We were sold but never delivered the goods. People want escapist fantasy not how poor children in India have to beg for scraps. We don't want that. Escapist nonsense every time.
The bit in Rogue One where Darth Vader went chop chop in the corridor was absolutely immense and I was aghast and staggered at such awful power. Imagine if you were in that corridor facing such power it was terrifying cinema.

Star Wars is fantasy and the universe and the force belong to Disney so if Disney say the force is unicorns and star beams then that's what it is. My main concern is Last Jedi was at best a mediocre film and the character of Luke Skywalker was totally out of synch. We were sold but never delivered the goods. People want escapist fantasy not how poor children in India have to beg for scraps. We don't want that. Escapist nonsense every time.
The bit in Rogue One where Darth Vader went chop chop in the corridor was absolutely immense and I was aghast and staggered at such awful power. Imagine if you were in that corridor facing such power it was terrifying cinema.

Hello The Basket,
Do you see any contradictions in accepting that a universe and "the force" behave however Disney wants and then stating that a single person in that fantasy universe, an imaginary character named Luke Skywalker is "out of synch".

The fact that the law of Universal Gravitation has been repealed doesn't bother you but the odd behaviour of a single character does???
In case you were wondering, I didn't find Luke Skywalker's explanation of his actions to be very convincing either.
A little odd behaviour might be the mark of a genius. A bit more and the person is just plain nuts.

I never saw Rogue One, so I can't comment there.
Your description of "such power" tells me that you are using what you see on the screen and measuring it against other things that you know about.
Why is correct to do that and completely ignore astronomical distances, gravitation that you were taught in school and laws of the Star Wars universe that we have deduced from watching prior movies?

- Ivan.

In Rogue One, Darth Vader was acting in character and using force powers that we are aware of.
Star Wars is not historical fact so the story can be whatever. Whether I like the story is the issue. Disney have paid 4 billion and if they want Mark Hamill to dress up in drag and hop on one leg and for gravity not to work then that's up to them. As far as I am concerned it's whether I buy into it that's the issue.

In Rogue One, Darth Vader was acting in character and using force powers that we are aware of.
Star Wars is not historical fact so the story can be whatever. Whether I like the story is the issue. Disney have paid 4 billion and if they want Mark Hamill to dress up in drag and hop on one leg and for gravity not to work then that's up to them. As far as I am concerned it's whether I buy into it that's the issue.

That really makes for a difficult discussion with any kind of common understanding, doesn't it?

- Ivan.

It's very difficult to discuss Star Wars other than as entertainment.
A historical film like Braveheart is controversial because it's supposed to be based on actual history which is open for debate.
End of the day, this is a kids film which is designed for kids and not old men who should be doing stuff like mowing the lawn. So getting emotional charge from it or feeling cheated because it's not my Star Wars is just not what I want to do. I was annoyed but that has passed.

To be honest Last Jedi has killed off Star Wars for me. It was such a mediocre mess of a film that I begrudged the time and effort it took to watch it.
There are better films out there.

We get it...

You must be in denial though, since you have been telling everyone this since December 20, 2017. You know telling yourself these things over and over reassures yourself.

Some of us have a different opinion, but we accept that, and don't have to tell everyone this over and over in some weird attemp to convert.

Don't you have a yard to mow anyhow? Mine can wait while I watch some Last Jedi...:D

I absolutely LOVED that scene in Rogue 1 where Darth Vader went full-savage on the defenders in the passageway...that is the Darth Vader of legend (and SW canon). He was not a nice person.

And speaking of canon, Star Wars canon, much like Star Trek, has expectations among followers. It's nice that some people show up for the movie to be simply entertained. But for others, there is a level of expectations that the storyline will follow a path (more or less predictable) as the books (which the movies of either SW or ST) are drawn from.
When I went to see The Force Awakens, my expectations were rather let down. It had a familiar feel, but I left the theater wondering what just happened.
When I went to see The Last Jedi, I wasn't really impressed. There were some good scenes, but again, I left the theater a little let down.
On the otherhand, Rogue 1 was dynamic. It was classic fast-paced in-your-face Star Wars. It had the same feel of adventure and energy as episodes IV, V and VI did...complete with a Lord Vader beat-down! When I left the theater after seeing R1, I was already wanting to see it again. Episodes VII and VIII did not do that for me.

I am looking forward to the Han Solo movie. It looks like it should be good, and it does touch on the fact that Solo originally went to the Imperial pilot school and should explain quite a few questions that were left unanswered over 30 years ago in the original three movies. And many people have asked why Solo defected, but it wasn't unusual for TIE pilots to defect - many of the top Rebel X-Wing pilots were former TIE pilots.

Matter of fact, when I went to see the first Star Wars movie (episode IV - A New Hope), I was enthralled by the TIE pilots. And so much so, that many years later, I ended up portraying one with Stormtrooper Ranch - we do charity work as Star Wars characters, especially for the benefit of children who are very ill.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Finally watched it this weekend with my son. We both loved it.

My only comment is that the single most important scene in the movie is the last one.

That's ok. First time I saw Star Wars (No New Hope, no IV) was the day before both Time and Newsweek had it on their front covers. The theater was half empty but those of us there loved it. I even loved it waiting hours in line to see it again :) Some of the movies since have been better than others - I'd say best to worst IV, V, RO VIII, VII, VI, III, II, I ) - but they all had good bits and were all enjoyable in their own way. I'm looking forward to Solo & even more to IX.

That's ok. First time I saw Star Wars (No New Hope, no IV) was the day before both Time and Newsweek had it on their front covers. The theater was half empty but those of us there loved it. I even loved it waiting hours in line to see it again :) Some of the movies since have been better than others - I'd say best to worst IV, V, RO VIII, VII, VI, III, II, I ) - but they all had good bits and were all enjoyable in their own way. I'm looking forward to Solo & even more to IX.

As am I.

Unfortunetely I won't be able to see Solo on opening night, as I will be over the North Atlantic on my way to Germany.

The first time I saw "Episode IV: A New Hope" was in College a few years after the movie first came out.
It was a show on campus and my new Girlfriend fell asleep during the movie....
<sigh>

- Ivan.

The last trailer for the Solo film was very good and got me going. A good trailer usually means nothing so still on the fence.
I can see it when it opens on the 25 may in the UK but didn't want to see it until I got the full reviews and chatter.
But I probably will. Easily led.

The two non-sequential movies Rogue and Solo can be taken on their own merits almost as "stand-alones" where as Force and Last should be part of a sequence and as such should fit into the other six like a jigsaw puzzle pieces. Another big factor is/was the big time gap between Revenge and Force, i.e.: 10 years and it's even worse in terms of the numeric sequence of the films. The gap (our time) between Return and Force was 32 years. Another factor IMHO was the change in ownership to Dizzy. With their unlimited funds and vast talent pool a LOT of expectations were being formed. The almost totally un-original storyline of Force and the blatant PC casting was (to me) a huge let down but then again I was actually there for New Hope and first hand remember being totally blown away by that first movie.
So was Last a bad movie?? It's always point of view and had I never seen a previous SW movie I would most likely been stunned. BUT having "lived through" the first 6 films, Last's shabby treatment of Luke (even Mark Hamill objected til Dizzy waived their checkbook in his face) un-original storylines, super blatant PC casting, and all the other "it makes no sense" stuff that I previously posted about, Dizzy's two entries don't fit well into the established SW Cannon and in that sense they're "bad"

I would have broken up with her...:D

No one needs that sort of negativity in their life! :lol:

Whenever there is a lot of hype about a movie, I tend not to see it for a while if at all. I am not one of the bandwagon types.
I forget whether it was 1976 or 1977 that "A New Hope" came out, but this was probably late 1982 or early 1983 when I saw it with my Girlfriend at the time. My own thoughts at that time were that the special effects were pretty good and that the movie was good, but even for $1, I wasn't planning on going back to watch it again.
At the time, the movie like the girlfriend was good in some ways and both had potential.

Forty years later, our expectations are different. Movie technology is different. There is established canon.
People (outside the Star War franchise) think more about space travel and the physics of Faster than Light travel that is necessary to have any decent story in space.

The audience is smarter. There is now the Internet and not just ARPANet.

"The Last Jedi" wasn't any worse of a movie than "A New Hope", but it is being evaluated against 40 years of a lot of very smart people who have tried to understand the rules of this fantasy universe.
People today often get critical opinions from others all around the world and not just among the small group of friends who saw the movie with them..

FWIW My other friends didn't seem to like that girlfriend either and I never really figured out why.

- Ivan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back