Stolen 1911 comes home

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RabidAlien

1st Lieutenant
Apr 27, 2008
Hurst, Texas
Man, I love reading stuff like this:

Actions that make heroes | MailTribune.com

(the link above has McGinty's citation on it....)

Kinda makes you wonder, how many hands did that 1911 pass through before someone decided to look up the original owner?

My dad served with the NZ army Malaya from 1957-59 and in 1961 some scumbag burgled his house and amongst other things they grabbed his service medal. In 2005 he got a call from Australia and a medal collector had been given dads Malayan service medal by a mate in the police after it was recovered by them and no one came forward to claim it. The collector apparently always makes a point of trying to track down the owners of any medals the police give him and called dad who had a replacement issued to him by the army which he gladly traded to get his original back after all those years. Because of that guy my son gets to wear my dads medal on ANZAC day now.

Great stuff mate! Makes you wonder why the police didn't track him down when the medal was recovered though. Don't they keep such cases on file???

Different countries I guess, medal was in Oz and dad was in NZ. The cop who gave the guy the medal must have known the collector would do the right thing when he gave it to him.

I paid it forward a little bit when I found this story on the net. http://www.aussiewardogs.org/resources/downloads/Pte Phil Daniel.pdf The dog Phil Daniel had was given to my dad to use as a tracker after Phil returned to Australia.Dad had Lawder for 2 years and unfortunately the army treated dogs as ordinance in those days and put it down when they wound down operations and returned to NZ .Dad was so gutted he never had another dog and as the article says Phil returned to find Lawder but never knew what happened to it until I got in touch with him last year. Has there ever been any threads about tracker dogs here?

Apologies for the threadjack.

Users who are viewing this thread