Sturmgeschütze

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also of the very scarce M-26 Pershing tanks which managed to see any action in Europe -meaning very few of them-, one of them got gutted by a Hornisse, in just one shot. BOOM.

Hey Erich, do you still have a copy of the PK photo I made and sent to you a few yrs ago of an Assault gun that also had a squad of Armored Infantrymen mounting it? If so, please post it. If not, it will take me longer than I want to think before I can get another copy made.

Also, great thread you have here and much great info on the assault guns. I like that rail head shot of a Company of assault guns on the train.

PS, why does this site not allow me to spell words in German?

Udet said:
Also of the very scarce M-26 Pershing tanks which managed to see any action in Europe -meaning very few of them-, one of them got gutted by a Hornisse, in just one shot. BOOM.

Yes, but a Pershing also took out a Tiger and 2 PzIV's. 8) PlanD mentioned a Super-Pershing even taking out a KonigsTiger!
:shock:

I wonder what happened to that Hornisse? The "tiger of Vitbesk" was a good Hornisse ace. 8)

Ball Turret Gunner said:
PS, why does this site not allow me to spell words in German?

It does. I just leave out the umlauts, but I think someone on here used them once IIRC?

what is the problem with Umlauts eh ? ö, ü, ß ä ..........hmm are you guys what ever keyborad you have making sure your numbers lock is on, because if it isnt you will not be able to punch them in.

turret gunner no I do not have that pic on file in the saved data base online

Gruß

friend it is not the site that has the problems it is the server through the PC you are using as Umlauts are easily done ........ ä ö ß , etc ....... ♫

another Kommandeur of a Stug III killed while part of a Panzer regiment near Stargard in winter of 45

Attachments

• xkotterhans_104.jpg
    xkotterhans_104.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 167
The Hornisse would be able to knock out a Sherman at 3,000 metres. It could also strike the enemy at that range. Just because the tank is weaving it doesn't mean it won't be hit. Snipers can hit moving targets, just like gunners can.

A Ferdinand was reported to knock out of a T-34/76 at 4,500 metres. Whether the even is true or not can be brought into question. But it seems possible. And if the Ferdinand can do that to a T-34, the Hornisse can certainly do that to a Sherman.

Undoubtedly, I think there are Soviet reports confirming kills like these.

Halfaya pass saw kills on Shermans by Flak 88's at about 6 miles IIRC!

As you know, the Pak43 had even better performance...

What I mean is, the Sherman would still be able to reply.

A KonigsTiger would be completely safe in this instance.

(Unless the Sherman's radioman called in an airstrike!)

At 3,000 + metres the Hornisse would be completely safe, or at least almost. The Sherman optical equipment wouldn't give the gunner a chance in hell of hitting the Hornisse by aiming.

another one dying at too young an age. Red waffenfarbe around the skull patches. though his death card says serving in an armored regiment specifically he probably served at Kompanie level. Stug III G's or ? in August of 44 in the Ost.

Attachments

• brunnerferdinand_189.jpg
    brunnerferdinand_189.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 137
I think the greatest panzer ace of all time (Witten, if I'm not mistaken) said that he had developed his tactics while he was commanding a Sturmgeschuetz.

Paul at WWIITV.com recently released this video interview with Pete Blanchard discussing the StuG development process which I happened to watch last night. Detailed info on the design/production cycles (including the '44 dropoff due to Alkett being bombed, and how the Germans worked around it). Anyone interested in the topic should check out the video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back