Sunderland Vs Catalina

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Realizing it's not strictly on-topic, but I was just reading about the Kawanishi H8K, the candidate for best flying boat of the war. 5(!) 20-mm cannons + MGs, max speed 290MPH, max range 4460 miles. It's first mission was a (not very effective) bombing raid on Hawaii in March 1942, where the planes refuelled from a sub en route. I think it has both the Catalina and Sunderland well beat...

There is no doubt about that. The H8K Emily was easily the post impressive flying boat of the war having armament that even a Sunderland skipper would drool over, good speed for a flying boat, and the range needed to patrol long distances.

Wasn't built in the numbers and the Japanese weren't real clear on how to use it. If the Japanese had ever adopted a real convoy strategy, it would have been very effective and taken a toll on the US subs. But, regardless of how effective it was or wasn't, it's design was better than either.

There's a nicely preserved Emily in Tokyo at the Maritime Museum sitting on a pedastal, an impressively mammoth plane. Apparently, single plane missions could last as long as 24 hours.

Forgot to say, also, that my vote would have to go with the Catalina in the Cat vs Sunderland thing, purely on looks alone...

For sure, taste is purely subjective. I just liked the Catalina's silver skin and that funky angled fuselage. It seemed to fit well in the Pacific, anchored off the beach of some tropical island. Maybe I'm biased because I had a 1/72 kit of one many moons ago. Though to be honest, if I had to fly in one, I'd probably prefer the Sunderland--seems a lot safer... :)

The Cat did a fine job of taking care of itself in the Pacific. And I think the Black Cats flew some of the neatest missions of the war.

I'm not aware of any encounters between Cat's and Luftwaffe aircraft. If that is the case, I think you would be safer in the Cat. Even if the Sunderland was better defended (debatable), never being shot at in the first place is far safer :D .

Lightning Guy said:
...Even if the Sunderland was better defended (debatable), never being shot at in the first place is far safer :D .

Do you mean that because the Cat was in the Pacific it was shot at less than the Sunderland, which had to deal with the Luftwaffe? As Lancs suggests, what I meant was that if they were attacked by the same aircraft, I would prefer to be riding in the Sunderland.

Is the fact that the Sunderland was better defended debatable? The original Mk. I had 8 .303s, the Cat had "...up to five .30 in or .50 in machine guns" Though I do realize that superior armament is not the whole story when it comes to self-defence...

I was refering specifically to the use of the Cat over the Atlantic. I am not aware of a single encounter between a Luftwaffe fighter and a Catalina. The standard defensive armament of a Cat was a .50cal in each blister and a .50cal a ventral position. Many were equipped with two .30cal in the nose as well. Not counting the 2 .30cals, the Cat put out a slightly higher weight of shells and about 50% more muzzle energy. The power operated turrets of the Sunderland were an advantage, but it's actual armament was less potent than the Cat's.

Just looked up the Sunderland, and apparently the Mk. III/Vs, which were the major marks, also had either two 0.50 inch or 4 0.303 inch MGs in the nose and two in beam positions. I guess it was these later marks that account for its reputation for being so heavily armed.

but you only have to look at the sunderlands combat record to realise how well it could defend it'self........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back