Sunderlands in Perth WA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

doodah

Recruit
Oct 31, 2008
Would anyone know where i might find info regarding Sunderland flying boats based in Perth WA during WW@?

AFAIK no Sunderlands were based in Perth in WWII. 40 sqn RAAF was the sole operator of the type and they were based at Townsville then Port Moresby.

Wildcat, I wasnt around then so could be wrong, but old gents down the road talk about getting lollies from the pilots and watching them takeoff during their childhood days. Maybe they were PBY pilots??

G'day mate, I wasn't there either :) The US Navy had Patrol Wing 10 based around Perth during the war with PBY's, likewise QANTAS was flying Catalinas on their Perth to Ceylon run. Maybe these are what they are referring to?

Wildcat, I wasnt around then so could be wrong, but old gents down the road talk about getting lollies from the pilots and watching them takeoff during their childhood days. Maybe they were PBY pilots??

G'day doodah! (love ya name! :) )

Maybe Short Empire flying boats?...

"From 1943 Perth also became the Australian base for the QANTAS civil long range flying boat service linking Australia with Britain through India and the Middle East. The Catalina flying boats flew non-stop direct from Perth to Ceylon, a flight time of well over 24 hours."

The Golden Age Of Flying Boats In Australia | Club Marine

Thanks to all. I think my question is resolved.
Seems my friends must be talking about PBYs.

Ring RAAF Museum, Point Cook, in Victoria on (03)9256 1040.
Hope this helps.

My dad grew up in Shenton Park here in Perth WA. Shenton Park is not too far from Crawley Bay where Pat Wing 10 operated their PBYs and he quite oten reminisced about watching the PBYs operating from the bay. He also spoke of an RAAF Sunderland visiting on a war bond tour and that they were offering flights in the aircraft as an inducement for the purchase of bonds.

Rodger Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back