Suppose there was no Curtiss wright: P-35 with the Allison 1710 liquid cooled engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
I have had one too many Bellini cocktails tonight on the canals of Venezia and the following thought surfaced based on thread entires discussing the evolution of the P-40 from the P-36: Suppose no Curtiss Wright and no P-36, would the P-35 have been nominated for installation of the Allison V-1710 engine?
What would it have looked like? How would it perform?

Probably have to imagine a P-43 with an Allison.

Last edited:
I think the P35 was a good basic design as proved by the later P47's and Regianne's, no idea how well the Allison would have worked in it though but at a guess maybe as well as it did in the P40. As far as appearance goes, again I don't know perhaps the design may have turned into something more like the Regianne that the P47.

Biggest thing with no P-36, then there would be no P-40, and North American wouldn't have been approached to build them for Britain, and thus no P-51.............

The reason the Army chose the P-36 over the P-35 for a trial installation of the V-1710 was that it was very much narrower behind the engine section. This would suggest that a P-35/V-1710 would not gain the advantage over its parent aircraft than the P-40 did over the P-36.

Biggest thing with no P-36, then there would be no P-40, and North American wouldn't have been approached to build them for Britain, and thus no P-51.............

I would imagine that if the P-35 was chosen as the airframe for the V-1710 that it would spawn the P-37 and P-40 variants.

Let's suppose they based it on something like the XP-40Q. It might look something like this ...

P35_Allison.jpg

On the other hand, maybe not ...

The P35, and later P43, wet wing concept never worked out.

The P35, and later P43, wet wing concept never worked out.

The P-47N had a successful wet wing (it was directly modified developed out of one of the P-47M prototypes).
I suspect there were minor problems with the wet wings in the P-35 and P-43 that could have been resolved. To avoid any anxiety in selling the P-47 Republic probably had them removed from the P-47 entirely to move the conversation on.

I don't know if the P-47N used a "wet wing" or not.
p-47-fuel-system.jpg

Fuel tanks in the wing do NOT mean a wet wing. In the P-35 and P-43 ( and a number of other late 1930s aircraft) they tried to seal up spaces in the wing and use the space as a fuel tank instead of installing a seperate tank in the space or even sticking a rubber bladder into the space. However as wings flexed in flight the seams (usually riveted) worked loose causing leaks. Different sealants were tried, maybe by 1944/45 they got a sealant to work, I don't know. But trying to make these tanks self sealing in a combat damage sense was much harder.

The original concept for the P-47 was a small fighter with a V-1710. Fortunately, they went the other way and built the P-43's big brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back