Sword Ki-84 markings "357FR"

KennyK

Airman
14
5
Joined
Mar 22, 2015
Hello all! I'm building the Sword 1/72 Ki-84 and one of the marking options is for a natural metal machine from the "357th FR" with a tail marking that roughly looks like a 1164....but I don't know much about Japanese markings and I can't see anything on Google.

Picture of the instructions included.

Does anyone have any references to this plane or unit? Thanks!
20230612_191447.jpg
 
Hello all! I'm building the Sword 1/72 Ki-84 and one of the marking options is for a natural metal machine from the "357th FR" with a tail marking that roughly looks like a 1164....but I don't know much about Japanese markings and I can't see anything on Google.

Picture of the instructions included.

Does anyone have any references to this plane or unit? Thanks!View attachment 725147
Judging by the single exhaust pipe this is one of the so called "supplementary prototypes" (pre-production series) and not a production model. 125 supplementary prototypes have been built and they differed in minor details, impossible to list or describe AFAIK.
164 could be the serial, not the unit identification.
 
Hello all! I'm building the Sword 1/72 Ki-84 and one of the marking options is for a natural metal machine from the "357th FR" with a tail marking that roughly looks like a 1164....but I don't know much about Japanese markings and I can't see anything on Google.

Picture of the instructions included.

Does anyone have any references to this plane or unit? Thanks!View attachment 725147

I do have some Japanese publications. I will take a quick look.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
IJA hiko-sentai (飛行戦隊 or FR) ends with the 248th.
Is the 357th correct?
Take apology if I am wrong :)
 
Thank you VERY much for that !

My pleasure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a strange Ki-84 which belonged to IJN Yokosuka Air Corps with designation "コ・八四・1 (Ko-84-1)"


View attachment 725286
View attachment 725287
Source: 陸軍四式戦闘機 疾風 塗装図
Shinpachi, arrigato for the photo. Photo (of course!) is correct, profile is wrong. Photo shows the single exhaust pipe or the pre-production a/c, profile shows the multiple exhaust pipes of the standard production.
BTW what's the first letter/digit (on the left side, like mirrored C) - is this 1?
Cheers!
 
Shinpachi, arrigato for the photo. Photo (of course!) is correct, profile is wrong. Photo shows the single exhaust pipe or the pre-production a/c, profile shows the multiple exhaust pipes of the standard production.
BTW what's the first letter/digit (on the left side, like mirrored C) - is this 1?
Cheers!
You have good eyes, CATCH22 :thumbleft:
It's "コ (ko)". Probably "ko" for "Yo-ko-suka".
 
You have good eyes, CATCH22 :thumbleft:
It's "コ (ko)". Probably "ko" for "Yo-ko-suka".
Thank you, sir!:salute:
I know only the other KO 甲(maybe it's Koh) for the variant designation and was looking for the same symbol.
Cheers!
 
Thankyou for the picture and info! Same unit marking and exhaust system as what's offered in the Sword kit. The start of a pattern? :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back