Sywell 2024

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aerobatic champion Melanie Astles dazzled the crowd with some incredible moves in her Extra 300/SC, often falling back through her own smoke trail, and doing things that seemed to defy all known aviation manoeuvres.
I didn't take many pics of this act, preferring to sit and watch, mesmerised by the whole thing.

Coming next, an aeroplane I was really looking forward to seeing, in the sky .....................

Ever since first hearing about its restoration, I'd really been looking forward to seeing this very special Lockheed Electra.
So, apart from being a relatively rare Electra, what's so special about it ?
Well, this the actual aircraft used by Sidney Cotton (the designer of the "Sidcot" flying suit, among other things) in the late 1930's, just before the outbreak of WW2, when he flew around Germany, carrying high-ranking Nazi officials on board, whilst at the same time secretly photographing airfields, factories and military installations !
There were a number of photo-recce cameras on board, in the lower fuselage and in the wing leading edges, cunningly hidden behind sliding "trap doors", which could be operated by remote control from the cockpit, without Cotton's passengers being aware that he was actually spying on their military build-up.
The aircraft has been painstakingly and accurately restored to how it was during that period, including the camera compartments and "secret" doors, and the interior has been lovingly re-created, using wood and leather to the same luxury spec as the original.
The overall colour scheme was chosen by Cotton, at the time, to blend-in with the sky, and it is thought that this was the basis for what eventually became "Cammotint" and later, "Sky Type S".

It was pure joy to watch this elegant aircraft (the "Learjet" of its day) cruise around the display circuit, and well worth the wait to be able to see it in its element.

More to follow tomorrow ......................

Thank you.

A few more for today, with more tomorrow, including the Red Bull team formation and duo displays.

Steve Jones provided a spirited display of freestyle aerobatics in his tiger-striped Gamebird GB-1. Steve is one of the pilots with Aero Legends at Sywell, flying the Buchon and other fighter types in displays, and with passengers, and I had the pleasure of a long chat with him, over a couple of beers, after he'd flown my friend, Max, in the two-seat Buchon back in 2021.
He also flew the Red Bulls racers and, I think I'm correct in stating that he flew the Red Bull Extra through the hangar for the TV advert.
Steve is pictured (at left) with Max, in the last photo in this selection.

Thanks, Wojtek and Andy.

The next two posts will feature just a selection of the many shots I took of "The Flying Bulls", the Red Bull Team, who brought their Corsair, P-38, Mustang and B-25 from Salzburg, Austria.
As usual, they provided a dramatic display, in formation, pairs and solo, with the Mitchell being thrown around like a fighter.

Mikael Carlson drove to Sywell from Sweden, no mean feat in itself, bringing with him his Fokker Dr.1 and Fokker D.VII.
These are entirely home-built, to as close as original spec as possible and, whilst they are "reproductions", they are both fitted with original WW1 era engines, with a Le Rhone in the Triplane, and a Daimler in the D.VII, providing a unique and very different sound in the sky above the airfield.
Neither aircraft bothered to taxi to the secondary grass runway - they just rolled away from their slots on the flight-line, cross wind, and became airborne in a very short distance, exhibiting an astonishing rate of climb !
Their display was fascinating to watch, as they wheeled and turned very tightly, really demonstrating the manouverabilty of these First World War types.

I apologise for the relatively poor quality of these images - I seemed to be having a focusing problem, and discovered later that I'd accidentally altered camera settings without realising it.
The pics are divided between this and the following post, with still more to come, including the Spitfire formation and tail-chase, and a few odds and ends to finish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread